Button Quail feed?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bryam, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Can button quail eat 16 percent chick growing? I was going to grind it up, should I add some fish food shrimp or spinach and kelp pellets to increase the protien? The fish food has 30 percent protien. I was also going to add crushed oyster shells.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome!

2. blkjak

blkjak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    We add cat food for protein. I never thought of fish food.

3. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    Can I add dog food?

4. blkjak

blkjak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    I cant see why not. When we bought our buttons the seller told us they need more protein than layer food so to add cat food. If you are going to give meal worms you most likely dont need to anything.

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

At the point that you've gone out of your way to obtain an exotic species from halfway around the world you should go out of your way to feed them properly. Button chicks should be getting 30% protein Game bird food. Adult buttons 20-24% gamebird food. If that isn't available then turkey starters work just fine and they are 26-28% protein. Cat food is over 40% protein and way high in fat compared to what quail normally consume.

6. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I agree with DC. Cat fod is way high in fat and other added things that you really dont want to feed to you quail. Fish food is for fish not birds. The turkey or gamebird is fine as is meatbird which is high protein chicken fed for eating birds.

7. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    Okay, I will try to get Turkey starter food!

Thanks for the info!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by