Button Quail Foods?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Kassie, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Kassie

Kassie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    Hi just wondering can i feed my Button Quail's Chick Crumble for baby chickens? Also does it provide them with the vitamins they need too?

Thanks Kassie

2. FitzD

FitzD Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2012
    Chicago
    Hello, the people at my Feed Store recommended Game Bird feed because it has the necessary nutrition value for my Button Quails. So I'm guessing that if they make a special formula it's because regular chick feed isn't adequate for them. How many do you have? I love mine, they are very pretty birds [​IMG]

3. Kassie

Dec 8, 2012
    Thanks for that, will try to find it. I have 2 and one which is currently incubating her own eggs which i am really excited about as its a first for us.

Kassie:)

4. FitzD

FitzD Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2012
    Chicago
    That's awesome! I have a female, two males and a Japanese quail female. One of the males mates with her and the other one with the other one. I'm incubating their eggs, hopefully we'll get chickies also!! Best wishes on that!

Darwin

5. Kassie

Dec 8, 2012
    Thats Great! Yeah hope your eggs hatch too:)
    Also one more question since you seem to know quite a bit about Button Quails/ Japanese Quails, Forgot to add i also have 2 female Japanese Quails too, so yeah my question was do you know why they lay different colour eggs each time they lay them?

Thanks Kassie

6. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    be sure your chick feed is NOT medicated as it can cause infertility in buttons. as for the egg color each quail will lay different color eggs based on diet and genes.
    By the way "Button" quail are not Japanese quail they are "Chinese Blue Breasted Quail", CBBQ. There are Japanese quail though.

7. Kassie

Dec 8, 2012
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your replys they were very helpful!
    Just an update on my Button Quails my female button quail who was incubating 6 of her own eggs has hatched out today 5 baby button quail chics:D So happy first time ever this has happend and it was a success! I have 2 Browns and 3 Yellow's. Will post a picture soon.

Thanks Kassie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by