Button quail gettimg sick and dying

The Birb King

Bird is the word
Dec 10, 2022
Earth
I had 7 buttons that were a year and a half old (4 males 3 females) and 3 that are around 6 to 8 weeks old (2 females one male). Over the past few weeks all 3 older females died. First was Penny, my wild color female. She was fine one day and dead the next. A few weeks later the silver female started to look sick ( droopy wings, eyes closed, not very active) and then a few days later the tuxedo female looked a little sick too but.not as bad as the silver hen. They both died a few days later. That left 5 males and 2 young females. And today the silver male is starting to look sick ( moving slower, not very active, puffed up). They are not very old, they eat baby chick feed with oyster shell always avaliable on the side and occasional vegetables and mealworms. Their pen/aviary is inside my Serama coop. I heard quail can sometimes get sick from chickens but they are not together only next to each other. If it is because of the chickens then I would really have no where else to put the quail I would need to build a whole new coop for them and that would be annoying. Plus they were in the same spot next to the chickens last year and I didn't have issues. Does anyone know why they keep getting sick and how to prevent it?

You mentioned it might be because the bigger chickens go on top of their coop and poop in it. Have you tried covering it? Females don’t live as long as males due to egg laying and button quail only live 2 to 5 years. I believe my oldest female died around 2 as well.

You mentioned it might be because the bigger chickens go on top of their coop and poop in it. Have you tried covering it? Females don’t live as long as males due to egg laying and button quail only live 2 to 5 years. I believe my oldest female died around 2 as well.
I don't think it was old age they were only a year and a half old. If I covered it it would just get pooped on a bunch and they kick stuff in through the sides anyway. My best option currently is to put them in their winter cage in the barn

Back
Top Bottom