Button Quail - getting back into quail

solidstate

Chirping
Mar 4, 2021
Grant County WA
I’ve not hatched any buttons since maybe 2015, or so, and my last button died in 2020.

I have recently ordered 15+ CBBQ eggs from burtonspirogue aviaries and they will be arriving on the 26th!

I’m hoping for a good hatch rate, but these are shipped eggs so I’m not sure what to expect (my last button eggs were from bracken ridge). I’ve heard good things about this seller so I’m hopeful!

Anyway, I thought I’d establish a thread here if I had any questions or issues.

I do have a decent sized indoor aviary with 4 Diamond doves, and I hear many people keep them together. The floor space is about 6*4 ft. How many buttons could be kept in that space? Is it likely that males will fight?

I kept my last buttons separated by pair, because I had issues with the males fighting, but I didn’t have such a large space at the time. I also have additional cages, tanks, and a nice tortoise habitat (38in*24in) I can separate into as needed.

For a brooder, I’ll be using a PetBrooder 60 or 90, which I usually use for orphan bottle baby kittens or as a hospital cage for birds, since it can be set to any temp or humidity level.

If anyone has any input or tips it would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    636 KB · Views: 33
  • 685E2FB6-6F51-4494-AA50-0DBC48E6A6EC.jpeg
    685E2FB6-6F51-4494-AA50-0DBC48E6A6EC.jpeg
    601.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    679.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 9
You can keep up to 20 button quail in your aviary. With that much space you should be able to keep multiple pairs, especially if they have plenty of hiding places.

The usual expectation on shipped eggs is a 50% hatch rate. Good luck!

It sounds like you have a good setup for them.

You can keep up to 20 button quail in your aviary. With that much space you should be able to keep multiple pairs, especially if they have plenty of hiding places.

The usual expectation on shipped eggs is a 50% hatch rate. Good luck!

It sounds like you have a good setup for them.
Awesome thank you!

Back
Top Bottom