Button Quail Growing Horns? Now PICS!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CoopCrazy, Dec 21, 2009.

1. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I have a button quail that I am getting concerned about .... On the top of its head it is has some sort of growth growing... I thought it had just bumped its head a few too many times but now it seems they are growing ... It started with the head getting bald which I thought may be pecking...It honestly looks like its growing crusty, flaky, black headed horns... I am wondering if this a button trait or possibly Avain Pox... My other button isnt having any issues.. I will try t o get pics and post on here but am very busy trying to move before christmas .. Any advice is welcome.. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry they were taken from a camera phone.. And they are Buttons so getting it to stand still was fun....

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Well if she got bald, and they kept picking at her, those could be scabs, right?

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I thought that but the male died weeks ago and its just her and the lil one on the totem pole and the other runs from her so I dont hink its her.. MAybe ...

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I am getting really worried about this .. I am moving in the next few days and am worried this may be somthing that can spread to my chickens or ducks.. Please any help would be appreciated also any links to sites that may have answers....

To add there are now about five of theses 'Horns" each one is crusty and has a black dot on the end.. Two of the horns are very tall .. Its causing the few feathers left on its head to stick straight up .. I am wondering if I should cull them both and sterilize everything before I move as I would be devestated if my chickens or ducks got it....

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    BYC ers please help I have no idea what this is and its scary.. I have children at home and looked at everything online and cant find answers.. I am thinking Fowl Pox

6. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
  7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Thanks Betta... Sorry to bug you on PM.. I will get pics tonite and maybe then we can find out what it is..

8. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    It's definately not an issue! I wasn't aware of this post actually! I usually don't check this forum. I'm sorry that I couldn't be a better help. [​IMG]

9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:No prob.. I just dont want to spread it to my chickens or ducks.. The other button in with it is doing great still laying an egg a day and everything.. [​IMG] Hopefully when i get pics it will be easier to diagnose...

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Can you get a pic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by