Button quail hatchlings

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Midget, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Midget

Midget New Egg

Feb 17, 2012
    Hi can anyone give me advice on new button quail hatchlings. I have them still in the incubator 3 out of 16 hatched so far but I'd like to put them into a brooder but am not sure what the environment should be like. Temperature, humidity, what goodies should I put in there to make them feel comfortable etc. Also what food should they ben eating - they've been eating canary mini seed mix today to get them started but realise they need something to go with it. I lost my last lot I hatched when I transferred them from the hatcher to the brooder and don't want to make the same mistakes again.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. TheWeeBee

TheWeeBee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I don't think you're supposed to feed them seed of any sort until they're at least a month old. I start mine on egg food (sold in the pet bird aisle for softbills). It's ground fine so the chicks can eat it easily, and it's full of protein and minerals. I sprinkle it all over the cage floor and tap on it to show them that it's "food". They get the hang of it quickly. Once they get older I start mixing in some fine ground non-medicated chick starter crumbles. I wait until they're a month old before I start adding millet to their food, and I always make sure to sprinkle some grit over the food or on the cage bottom so they can grind up the seed properly.

They also need a shallow water dish (no deeper than a plastic bottlecap--quail chicks can drown). You may need to dip their beaks into it a few times before they start drinking from it on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by