button quail injury/disease??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by _lizzer_, Sep 7, 2009.

1. _lizzer_

_lizzer_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    western mass
    So, when my button started to get his "grown-up" feathers, he had this funny little twisted feather on top of his head, it looked like it was backwards. When that feather fell out, he started to get a bald spot. I just let it be, because I figured it would heal itself. Well, when I got home from work today, this is what I saw.

[​IMG]

There is nothing in his cage that he could get cut on, that I know of. He is also alone, so it is not a pecking problem. Any ideas? Is this maybe a skin condition?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Could He Be Flying Around Ping Ponging Off Of The Inside Of His Cage???

3. _lizzer_

Jun 23, 2009
    western mass
    Quote:it's possible, but i don't think anything is sharp enough to cut him. also, what would cause the loss of feathers on top od his head?

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Their Skin Is Quite Thin And Fragile--- They Dont Need Anything Sharp--- They Can Scalp Themselves Simply By Abraiding Their Head On Stuff When They Fly Into It--- This Would Start With Feather Loss And End Up A Scalping As The 1 In Your Pic....

As Far As The Injury It Will Heal In Most Cases Without Intervention From You...

Try This--- Pad The Top Of His Pen--- Some 1-2inch Thick Foam Like Say A Piece Of Egg Crate Matress Cover--- See If This Doesnt Prevent Further Injury.

If You Are Concerned About The Wound Healing You Can "paint It" With A Product Called Bluecote Or Woundcote Available From Many Feed Stores Or You Can Order It From Cutlers Supply.

5. _lizzer_

Jun 23, 2009
    western mass
    thank you so much for the advise! i'll pad the top of his pen, and just let him be for now. thanks!

6. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    What type of pen is he in? How tall?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by