Button Quail Leg Injury

Discussion in 'Quail' started by KAOQuail, Aug 23, 2014.

1. KAOQuail

KAOQuail New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Hi forum,
    I just brought home my first button quail. Margaery and Jeyne are doing well, but Sansa is sitting like this:
    [​IMG]

Is this normal? It's been hours, and I'm a bit worried about her.

Thank you!

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Has the bird hit it's head on the ceiling? THey usually look something like that after they've whacked their heads on the roof. If it has it may have some cranial swelling and require a few days rest to return to normal.

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    with the lack of feathers on the head I would guess that this female has been over breed. Too many males to females. The way she is sitting I would guess she has a broken leg. If you can move her to a nice quiet cage away from the others for a couple of days to a week I would then introduce her to a single mate. You might be able to tape her leg but more often then not it doesn't help. and with the cost of these guys so low I don't suggest a vet as the cost is nutz. If she continues to go down hill please be kind and cull her. They are addicting little things.

4. KAOQuail

KAOQuail New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Thanks so much for your replies!

She may have bumped her head when I put her in the cage. They were all flipping out a little bit. I thought of the broken leg thing, too, but I don't think it's that. I picked her up and she gripped my fingers with her feet, and her legs didn't seem dead as they often do with a break. I'll keep an eye on her, and if she doesn't improve I'll bring her by the vet (I'm fortunate to have a great avian vet right in the neighborhood).

Thanks so much again for advising me, I really appreciate it and so do my new little pals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by