Button Quail Mating Sounds! LOL!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by xxSonja, Dec 19, 2009.

1. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    hehehe [​IMG] Does anyone else think the sounds their Buttons make when mating sound like little piggy noises? I heard mine for the first time last night and it cracked me up [​IMG] sounded like a little oink oink oink

2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    OMG! How funny! I may have to get some buttons of my own, they sound too cute for words!
    Oh, wait, your's are mating, will you have eggs for sale? [​IMG]
    Oh, never mind, you're in Australia. darn it!
    edited because I'm geographically challenged.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  3. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Sonja, my male makes that piggy noise too. After having Jap quail for awhile (took mine back and swapped them for buttons) the buttons make the sweetest little sounds. Mine even make a cute wolf whistle sound sometimes too. My male makes a sound like he is blowing up a balloon sometimes - wish I knew what their different sounds really mean?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Unfortunately, that's not the mating sound. Males and females both do that. It's kind of their way of saying "Hey, where'd you go?"

The mating sound, or crow, that only males do is a sound similar to wind blowing [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:That would be the crowing sound, that only the males make [​IMG]

Try seperating one that has been with another for a while. Both will make the 'hehehe' sound, as a way to find each other [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  6. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    So Shelley my balloon blowing male is making his mating song then.
    Thanks for telling me.
    Is there a book out there on what all their little sounds mean? Would love a copy.
    Also why do these guys moon dance? Mine all do it at the same time, its funny to watch.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Do the Texas A&M make the same sounds? Mine are making some kind of weird sound that I can't explain.

8. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    ok i might not be the mating sound but mine both only make this crazy little 'oink oink oink', when Mr Quail is on Mrs Quail and doing his thing. Its alot diffrent from their normal "hey, where'd you go?" sounds.
    He also does this "come here, ive got this for you" noise which is a 'thunk thunk thunk' where he lowers his head when he gives a treat he's found.

9. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    XXSonja???
    Do you have any White Button Quail? A friend of mine in Australia is looking for White Buttons or potential White Button eggs.
    I doubt I could ship eggs that far let alone customs mess...

David

10. ozzie

ozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    Do you have any White Button Quail? A friend of mine in Australia is looking for White Buttons or potential White Button eggs.

There's a quail australia website that's just come about to look for and also farmstock your friend could advertise to get some.

ozzie​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by