Button Quail mutations

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
I want to start a website about button quail mutations.

Can anyone give me a list of most (all?) mutations

Once I get the list I will be asking anyone to donate pictures of the different mutations (colors)

Normal
Blue Face
double factor Blue Face
Cinnamon Blue Face
Cinnamon Blue Face Grey Form
Frosted Cinnamon Blue Face Red Breasted
Slate
Golden Pearl
Cinnamon Pearl
Silver Pearl
White
Splash
Pied
Tuxedo
Red Breasted
Silver Red Breasted
Cinnamon Red Breasted
Cinnamon
Pink Eyed Dilute
Smokey
Blue Face Cinnamon Red Breast double factor(Rusty Nail)
Ivory
Ivory Pearl
Ivory Red Breasted

Thank you!

What are mine?

21337_p1010116.jpg

21337_p1010113.jpg

You'll wanna compile and learn a lot of info first before you put together a website as it's sooo easy to give the wrong information. I reccomend gathering all the info you can from past posts, esp ones that BQH made, as well as checking out www.zebrafinch.com
smile.png
You gotta lot a learnin to do! LOL!

Not good pics but I would guess red breasted (or pearl) and the others are silver based. Looks like mostly slates. The lighting makes a difference when telling the silvers apart.

Basic genes would be
Recessives-
silver
white
cinnamon
red breasted
splash
I believe pink eyed is recessive

dominants-
normal wild/blue breasted
blue face
pearl

These combine to make most of the colors out there. Ivory is cinnamon plus silver. Slate is blue face plus silver. Zebrafinch has some of the combinations and possible names for them listed.
http://zebrafinch.com/NewButtonquail/Recognized_Varieties.html
There's a lot of making up new terms for colors because people don't know what that color actually is or what combination of genes causes it. So they call their buttons what they want and sell them that way.

The link that everyone is giving to you is great. There is a chick Id chart on that site that I use to help id mine then I check with BQH to make sure I got it right.

Yes, his black ones had orange stripes. You can't see it in pictures, but believe me, I was up close and personal with them, inspecting them thoroughly while they were here, trying to learn about the colors, lol. The tiny runt I originally thought was a blue face, but he even had the orange stripes once he grew out a little bit.
Having been to the breeder's place again (lol), I took a better look at his birds. It looks like most of his are silvers or slates, they're all darker than my ivory gal, and none of them have the bib. He only has three white birds, but he thinks that one of them is a male. It also looked like he had a cinnamon hen, but I can't be sure on that.

If I remember this right slate males do not get bibs silver do would have to check BQH for sure. Cinnamon is my favorite I think my 1 cinnamon baby is a girl. If so I will breed her with my cinnamon male

Back
Top Bottom