Button Quail Newbie Questions...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dawn @ Breezy's Legacy, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Dawn @ Breezy's Legacy

Dawn @ Breezy's Legacy In the Brooder

Dec 10, 2017
    Longwood FL
    I am new to Quails. I recieved a Button Quail a couple days ago. It was found running loose & ran up to someone. It is so darn cute! I have decided to keep it. With that being said... Where do I start? Sex & age is unknown. I was told that it is a "Splash" Button Quail. I want to make the perfect setup for my new button... I need some inspiration in creating my own. Also I have some (many) questions lol. Sorry if it seems like a lot of questions or if I am repeating questions that others have asked already. But I basically need to know absolutely everything there is to know about properly raising Quails including their likes/dislikes & their Do's/Don'ts. I truly want everything to be perfect for my Quail(s).

BASIC CARE INFO:
    - Do they need mental stimulation...
    - Toys (purchased or natural)
    - Hunting/Foraging
    - Different levels for climbing
    - Do they have to be paired/grouped or will they be fine alone...
    - Male/Female Ratio
    - Territory size
    - Quails safely grouped together
    - Foods, Plants, Other items that are toxic/deadly

GENDER/AGE:
    - How to determine gender
    - marking/coloration
    - size

FRIENDS OR FOE:
    - Other Birds like Pigeons
    - Poultry
    - Peafowl
    - Guinea pigs
    - Rabbits

FEEDING & WATERING:
    - Mealworms (live or dried)
    - Crickets
    - Feed (starter, scratch, pellets)
    - Safe watering system
    - Supplements
    - vitamins
    - calcium
    - salt/minerals blocks

MEDICAL/MEDICATIONS:
    - Dewormers
    - Parasite, Mite, Flea sprays/powders (best brands)
    - What should I always have on hand for quails that is needed (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, emergencies)...

HOUSING:
    - Indoors or Outdoors
    - Complete or Partial roof coverage
    - Prefered housing
    - raised Hutch (wired bottom)
    - aviary
    - aquarium
    - terrarium
    - Enclosure size (measurements/dementions)
    - Building material/items
    - Enclosure must haves
    - hide-aways
    - tunnels
    - dens
    - different levels to climbing
    - perches
    - Dirt/Sand baths
    - Plants
    - Safe bedding/substrate & nesting material
    - Wood chips
    - Hay/Straw
    - Saw Dust
    - Paper (shredded, compressed)

Feather Hearts likes this.
  2. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    Seeing a picture would help determine the buttons age.
    Since you only have one, he'd be fine in a large aquarium with shavings as bedding, water, food and a couple of hideouts. I use hamster igloos and my buttons love to sit on top of it and play in it. They do better with their own kind, so it would be better if you got him or her amother button quail. If it's a male, it's going to crow all day long calling for a female. It's going to get annoying after a while. Do not house them with other birds that aren't their own kind, esp. Chickens. They can make quail sick.
    You can have one roo to 2 or 3 females. It's best not to have more than one roo in a house with another. Roos will fight other roos and can really hurt them.
    Dried or live meal worms as a treat are fine.
    My buttons do go crazy if I offer crickets now and then.
    One easy way to tell if it's a male or female is males usually have bibs. And smiley shaped line on their necks.

3. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    20180705_114112.jpg My female with her babies. She has no bib and is a typical color of a hen.

20180604_010352.jpg
    My male, see his bib? He also has a splash of red, which is a male color.

Sara L and Feather Hearts like this.
  4. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Crowing

Oct 4, 2016
    Northland, New Zealand
    Hi! Congrats on getting a button quail! I adore mine, one of hens is actually incubating eggs right now :) I have typed my answers in bold next to each question, good luck.

5. Dawn @ Breezy's Legacy

Dec 10, 2017
    Longwood FL
    Here is my Button. I was told that it is a "Splash" Button. It doesn't make any noise at all. I figured it didn't make any noises because it was unsure or unfamiliar with its surroundings. I just want the best for my button. 20180917_140845.jpg 20180917_140501.jpg

20180917_140501.jpg 20180917_140845.jpg

Sara L likes this.
  6. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    The white one's are a bit more difficult to sex. Do you see any red or pinkish tones on him? If you check his vent area, he would have red feathers near there if he was a male.
    I'm guessing it's a girl. If she's not puffing her throat out and making woosh sounds, then she's a she for sure. Like I said, roos usually crow and crow if no hens are around. She should be laying in a couple of weeks, they are usually stressed after a move and take some time to settle in. She's at least 8-10 weeks old.

7. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    Also, I'd get rid of the newspaper as bedding. It will get slippery and messy quickly. They crap a lot. Try wood shavings, they sell them at farm stores..tsc.. ss..etc. even Walmart or petsmart.

8. Dawn @ Breezy's Legacy

Dec 10, 2017
    Longwood FL
    The only color on it is the one black feather on its back. So do you think this one definitely shouldn't have been running loose? From what I have been told, articles I have read & pictures, what I have is a farley new morph (mutation).

Feather Hearts and Sara L like this.
  9. Dawn @ Breezy's Legacy

Dec 10, 2017
    Longwood FL
    The newspaper was just a temporary thing. I have pine shavings in a larger cage.

Sara L likes this.
  10. Sara L

Sara L Crowing

Aug 14, 2017
    Northern California
    Button quail aren't wild in the US, so it shouldn't have been running loose. It probably escaped, they can fly pretty well if the situation is right.

I had a splash hen a while back, she had more black feathers than yours does. I got her by breeding a red breasted male with a silver female, no clue on the ancestry of the parents though.

I recommend getting your button a female companion. If it's a girl they probably will get along great. If it's a boy they might pair up. Usually they get stressed if they are by themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: