Button Quail Pictures

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 3PaintedButtons, Nov 16, 2011.

1. 3PaintedButtons

3PaintedButtons Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Cape May County, NJ
    I finally found some females for my males. The guy house his in trios and told me they do better that way which I read isn't true but so far they seem happy. If that changes then I will just have to take out a couple females. Here are pictures of the 2 groups. One group is missing a lot of feathers that's cause the guy didn't have anything on the top of the cages to keep them from hitting the wire,except my one male he escaped his tank and lost some feathers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Individual pictures of the females. I'm not sure what colors they are, I'm guessing one is a silver and one is a cinnamon pearl? I'm not sure about the other 2 at all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    last pic is of a blue faced hen i believe. or a young roo..maybe a ciny BF but deff BFed.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I agree, one male in one trio is blue faced and the other is cinnamon bluefaced. Both look single factor blue face. I am not going to comment on the housing choice [​IMG]

Beautiful birds though!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Last pic is a bluefaced MALE, evidenced by it's blue face and red vent feathers (You can see the vent feathers in a different pic).

No matter what the person you got them from said, they really should be in pairs or same-sex groups. He might have gotten lucky, but buttons WILL attack an 'intruder', to the point of death if necessary. It's an awful way to find out that your setup doesn't work by finding one of your birds pecked to death. They are much more happy when in pairs or same-sex groups.

Edit to add that you can tell the sex of males very easily. If it has red or blue on it ANYWHERE it is male. Females do not get red or blue feathers.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Wow, they're beautiful! I might have to get a few buttons........Can you keep them in the house?

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:You pretty much have to keep them in the house since they can't handle cold temps. I would suggest reading the stickies (top of the Quail forum page under Notable Archives) before deciding to get Button Quail. They are neat little birds but have specialized care needs.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Oh yes, they are indoor birds being sub tropical birds in the wild. They don't take cold well. I have mine in a barn setting and some in the house.

8. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Oh yes, they are indoor birds being sub tropical birds in the wild. They don't take cold well. I have mine in a barn setting and some in the house.

I saw you have a website. I should probably wait until spring to order since it's getting colder, right? Do you sell pairs of the Button quails?

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay

I saw you have a website. I should probably wait until spring to order since it's getting colder, right? Do you sell pairs of the Button quails?

Eggs are still being shipped. As long as you let eggs settle to room temp for 12-18 hours they are good to go to be incubated. Pairs are available when I list them.

ETA: Shelleyd2008 has some pairs for sale [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  10. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:I saw you have a website. I should probably wait until spring to order since it's getting colder, right? Do you sell pairs of the Button quails?

Eggs are still being shipped. As long as you let eggs settle to room temp for 12-18 hours they are good to go to be incubated. Pairs are available when I list them.

ETA: Shelleyd2008 has some pairs for sale [​IMG]

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by