Button Quail sexing Help!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by gallito1982, Oct 12, 2013.

1. gallito1982

gallito1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2013
    california
    Hi guys im gonna pick some button quails tomorrow but the guy who has them dont know if theyre males or females, and i dont wanna end up with a buch of males, any help, advice or caracteristics that i have to check to sex them? Theyre around 1 month old, i know is a thread talking about it but just cant find it, other thing, im planning in pick 10 quails should i grab only 1 male? Or should i go with 2? That way would be 2 males and 8 females, what you guys think?

2. froggyforlife

froggyforlife New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    I'm new to quail, but I've done some research. I've got japanese (cotrnix.) With them you can sex them either by venting or by the chest feathers. The females have a spotted/speckled chest and the males a more solid. The venting I'm not as sure about but there are a few youtube videos you can check out. As far as male to female ratio you always want more female, usually a 3:1 is best. Hope this is at least somewhat helpful. Good luck with your new babies! [​IMG]

3. gallito1982

Sep 24, 2013
    california
    thanks, sure your info is very helpful, i believe theres quite some different types of button quails but this guy that im buying from, just dont give a lot of information, he just said they were button quails, and theyre 1 month old, i guess im gonna try to sex them with the chest feathers and may be the vent test, cause i believe this method only works in breeding season and is not breeding season right now, so i will se what happens, i just dont wanna end up with more males than females

4. gallito1982

Sep 24, 2013
    california
    Are button quail eggs the ones with no little dark brown spots and coutornix quail eggs has the brown spots?

5. flg8r

flg8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    I'm new to button and coturnix but with button I'm pretty sure you want pairs. Coturnix you want one male to four females but buttons are usually different. Some people can keep them in colonies but sometimes it ends badly.

Buttons are harder to sec than coturnix because of their colorings. Some have a bib like a tiny beard for males (but I think that's not 100%) and males often have red vent feathers. Mine had his red vent feathers start showing around 4-5 weeks. I can't recall exactly.

6. froggyforlife

froggyforlife New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    Yes, Gallito1982, the cotrnix eggs have brown splotches on them.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by