Button quail sneezing for days!

Little Sheba

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2019
Hi all, sorry for the lack of formal introduction (my name's Ronny btw! Longtime BYC reader/follower) but I have a male button acting strangely and am looking for help. A couple days ago I heard him sneezing and he's been making this water pump like swallowing motion constantly where he opens his beak and sticks out his neck like he's drinking water or is mid-sneeze,. I'm wondering if he has something stuck in his nose or throat? Or maybe a nose infection or something? He's eating and drinking regularly though, at least. I'll try to post a video if possible. The only reason I'm not just running off to a vet is that there aren't really any avian vets nearby and I just put a payment down on a new apartment lease so I'm kinda broke and hoping I can remedy it myself. I've done some rudimentary vet care in the past and have had birds/etc for years.

Video link:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vGXLG2tQn4s2MNEG6

Any help appreciated, thank you all!

Check his throat for obstructions.. Welcome to BYC! Glad you could join the Flock! Let me know if you need anything else!

Thank you! Do I just hold his beak open and look down, or do I have to do anything special like when you get the tounge depresser at the doctors? Thanks for the welcome as well!!

PS. You know, it's funny, my BF said "why don't you ask ButtonquailGirl on YouTube?" bc we both love your vids!!!

Thank you! Do I just hold his beak open and look down, or do I have to do anything special like when you get the tounge depresser at the doctors? Thanks for the welcome as well!!

PS. You know, it's funny, my BF said "why don't you ask ButtonquailGirl on YouTube?" bc we both love your vids!!!
yes, I don't have a special tool, just hands.(but be careful not to break it's jaw)... Wow! Thank you so much! I didn't know I had any fans:lol: I'll need to do more posts!

Update:
Thank you! I checked his throat, I didn't see anything. Pretty clear a good distance and no swelling. There's no fluid or anything leaking from the eyes/nose or anywhere. I actually did find a vet nearby that might take birds and I'm calling them tomorrow. Hopefully I can make something work, or maybe he'll improve. He still drinks, haven't been home to see him eat today but he didn't feel malnourished/smaller when I held him. My only concern really potential is pain or exhaustion.

Oh and btw, your vids are like some of the top results for button quail info online, as far as I can tell! And I have to say that giving buttons like 4" of pine litter or whatever you suggested has been THE BEST solution around, and I've tried everything from newspaper, shredded things, dirt... 10/10, would recommend!!!

Update:
Thank you! I checked his throat, I didn't see anything. Pretty clear a good distance and no swelling. There's no fluid or anything leaking from the eyes/nose or anywhere. I actually did find a vet nearby that might take birds and I'm calling them tomorrow. Hopefully I can make something work, or maybe he'll improve. He still drinks, haven't been home to see him eat today but he didn't feel malnourished/smaller when I held him. My only concern really potential is pain or exhaustion.

Oh and btw, your vids are like some of the top results for button quail info online, as far as I can tell! And I have to say that giving buttons like 4" of pine litter or whatever you suggested has been THE BEST solution around, and I've tried everything from newspaper, shredded things, dirt... 10/10, would recommend!!!
great and thank you!

Back
Top Bottom