Button Quail Splay/Spraddle Legs Fix?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Breezy Optimist, May 31, 2016.

1. Breezy Optimist

Breezy Optimist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    I have a baby button quail that has splayed/spraddled legs.

I have watched all the youtube video's of how to treat this, all shown on nice BIG chicks. I've tried several times now to do the same thing on my button quail chick, but it's just proving impossible because he is so small.

I'm talking about a Button Quail chick that is just under a day old. Very tiny.

Is there anyone that has found a way of sorting out splayed legs on a button quail ?

The easier the better please, lol. I only have two hands, and like i said, i've tried most of the ways found on youtube, and it's just impossible to get done on such a tiny chick.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. I would hate to see this little guy die from not being able to get to the food and water.

2. yellowherb

yellowherb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    rgh! Twice I have typed a reply only to have BYC crash. Just love those ads!

Ok, 3rd time is the charm. We use a shot glass. Warm it in the brooder and then move it to the side so it's not in direct heat but enough to keep the chick warm. Drop the chick in the cup so it's legs are in the correct position and leave it for 20-30 minutes. Do this every few hours until it's fixed. Shouldn't take too long. Make sure you have a rubber shelf liner in your brooder. It's messier than wood chips or any bedding, but it really is a miracle for preventing splay leg. You can also use the shelf liner in your hatcher if you aren't already.

Buttons are terrible for splay leg and this worked great for us. Good luck!
    (shelf liner is like the deep blue stuff in my avatar. I don't know what it would be called in the UK. But you want something with a lot of small texture they can get their toenails into for good purchase.)

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  3. Breezy Optimist

Mar 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Thank you so much for responding!

Just before i read this i was able to get some bandage tape on the chicks legs, and they are being held in place by that right now.

He's wobbling around getting used to the tape and where his feet are now, but the good thing is, he's moving and active. So i'll leave them on for a few days and see how he goes after.

It's a very light sticky tape, so it won't be hard to get off with a drop of water for us humans lol, but it's strong enough to keep his feet roughly in place instead of sprawled out like they were.

I'm just worried about him getting food and water, so i'm trying to feed him by hand a few times a day. His brother (or sister) is already up, running around, eating, drinking, chirping and fighting fit. So he seem quite behind in that respect. But one thing i won't do is give up on him.

But if the tape becomes too distressing for him, i'll certainly try the glass idea, as that sounds a lot easier! Wish i had read that before attempting the tape now, as it was so difficult to get done with those tiny legs haha!

But again, thank you so much for responding, the glass trick will certainly be used in the future if it ever happens again :)

4. Breezy Optimist

Mar 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Oh, and i forgot to thank you for the tip about the surface. I've got kitchen towel down at the moment, but i'm going to change it for a thin cloth that's much better for grip. So again, another big thank you for that tip too.

5. Breezy Optimist

Mar 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    I took the tape off today to change it, and he's fixed already!

Legs are more or less where they should be, and he can walk around a bit.

But we've just found out he's blind :(

Trying to sort something out now. He's drinking but not eating, so will see how it goes. I won't give up on him.

6. cochinfan05

cochinfan05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    How's the little button doing? My sons class hatched a few out a couple days ago and unfortunately the teacher put them on newspaper. 2 have splay leg pretty bad.....and naturally she offered them to me. She must know I love a project! Hopefully I can fix the little sweeties up.

7. Breezy Optimist

Mar 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Hi, sorry, have been afk for a while.

Sadly the little blind chick with splay leg died :( He was able to walk fin after i fixed his legs, but he just wasn't able to gain enough strength to make it.

His little brother/sister is still here with me, and growing so fast!!!

All fit and well, and thinks i'm "mum", so it's been a very busy two weeks lol

Here he is now...at 16 days old :) he's a cinnamon colour with white at the bottom of his wings :) Still has a yellow baby fluff head though hehe.

[​IMG]

8. cochinfan05

cochinfan05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    LaFargeville NY
    I'm so sorry you lost your little one! I'm glad the other is doing well though. I'm continuing to struggle with the 2 here. I've kind of been letting them do their thing for the last week, just so they could get big enough for me to handle without having a nervous breakdown! Today I taped them and will keep my fingers crossed. They seem to be doing quite well with their funny little walk so if taping doesn't help I think I'll just let them be gimpy the rest of their lives.......

9. Breezy Optimist

Mar 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Awww, how are they doing? It's hard work raising these little guys isn't it? lol. More than i expected anyway :p

This is my little (or not so little) survivor ;) He's all grown and ready for my parents aviary. I'm going to miss him.

Excuse the cage mes, this was taken before his clean out. he's leaving on Sunday to live down the road at my parents haha. They already have 3 quails, who hae turned out to be a male and two females, so they've laid eggs and i'm hatching 10 for them! All due to to hatch on the 7th July and 12th July. Looking great so far, all developing on shchedule, and i know they are fresh and healthy and well looked after parents, so the eggs should hatch with no problems :)

But here he is, at 1 month old...all grown up haha!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by