Button Quail water container?

Nov 15, 2017
Virginia
Hello everyone!

I have had buttonquails for almost 2 years now, and have had lots of hatchlings. I currently have 7 adults, 3 less than a week old babies, and some more ready to hatch soon. I have always used a jar for the adult’s water, but I have noticed they spill it quite frequently, poop in it and taint it with pine shavings. I mentioned this to the person who gave me these buttonquails, (she has probably fifty mixed with other birds in a huge outdoor aviary) and she stated that she uses a hamster water dispenser for her birds and they peck the water out.

I’ve installed two hamster water dispensers in some of the cages, not all just yet. And it’s only been 18 or so hours, but they don’t seem to be figuring the water dispensers out. They are circling the dispenser, but don’t seem to be using it.

Is the hamster dispenser asking too much of these birds? Are they smart enough to use it? What do y’all use for your buttons?

Thank you!

Update: I’ve made a horrible mistake. I’ve not slept since Sunday night. I keep the birds in our bedroom, it sounds as if someone is aggressively using a typewriter to pen an angry letter. Blast. Must relocate cages-possibly to the living room. :barnie:lau
Try keeping chinchillas with large, heavy metal wheels in their cages. It sounds like a train.

I got used to it, but they still wake me up sometimes. They're over ten years old now. It's when they chew on the cage wires that really gets me. It doesn't help that they're actually nocturnal so they sleep all day and play all night.

So funny! I had the same problem with our cat. So I make a point to keep her up all day long so that she sleeps through the night :lau I’m such an awful mommy!

That's great! I put my waterers on bricks to keep them above the shavings and such, and it's really made a difference. I've been looking for other waterers to free up cage space, but I wasn't sure these would work. Thanks for sharing!

Yes! Our kids used to have a hamster that ran on a squeaky wheel all night long. They’re now grown and moved out. I don’t miss those days! How do you do it!?
I got used to it, but they still wake me up sometimes. They're over ten years old now. It's when they chew on the cage wires that really gets me. It doesn't help that they're actually nocturnal so they sleep all day and play all night.

Back
Top Bottom