Button quail wont sit on her egg

Nicoleandquails

Hatching
Apr 28, 2021
Hello I just got a male and female button quail and she started laying eggs, at first I had to remove the first 3 eggs as they came, but I decided to see if she would hatch her own egg but I wake up to see she has a new egg in her nesting spot but she won't sit on it or even notice its there now

Hello I just got a male and female button quail and she started laying eggs, at first I had to remove the first 3 eggs as they came, but I decided to see if she would hatch her own egg but I wake up to see she has a new egg in her nesting spot but she won't sit on it or even notice its there now
buttons like to gather a amount then sit IF they even want to be broody and sit, example one of my girls shana lays 7 then likes to be broody and my girl vlad likes 10-11 eggs lol

Also in the button quail book they have a set cycle of eggs that come down and each day "expand" lack of better word right now, into a egg after the cycle they can take a day or two, like if I suddenly stopped shanas broodyness and took her 7 eggs she would be thrown off cuz she already stopped laying eggs then after a day or two start again, also when they stop laying its cuz its the amount they want and they are getting ready to sit

Unfortunately, broodiness has been bred out of most quails, so they usually only sit on the eggs if given the right conditions.
I know right ! I cheat since its a open air cage i have a heatlamp keeping the nest at a comfortable temp for her lol 😆

Back
Top Bottom