button quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by redwards, Jan 27, 2013.

1. redwards

redwards New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Is it true button quail prefer to be in pairs only?

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    yes

3. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    its better two have them in trios because the male could kill the female it depends on how aggressive the male is and what breed

4. marilyn1

marilyn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Mine do. When I bought mine we tried different combos to see who got along. I tried 2 female with the male and the one female started to pick and chase the other female away. That's male female pair. Not sure about same sex in trios. I only have 2 males together also and they do fine together....I'm fairly new to this. My pair actually built a nest and laid eggs there.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. rollkeeg877

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    leave the eggs they might set on them i had a female do that but the problem is that if one chick hatches before the others she will leave all the eggs and take that one chick away thats what happened to me

6. marilyn1

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Thanks. What did you do with the other eggs? If removed.....When

7. rollkeeg877

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    i took them and put them in my brooder only 2 i think lived the others died in the eggs i didn't have an incubator then so it was hard to hatch anything

8. marilyn1

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Thanks, I'll let you know what happens.

9. rollkeeg877

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    ok thanks i use to raise buttons till one year someone wanted 3 doz and another person wanted 2 doz so i raised them all and then i called them both back and they said that they got them already i was so angry cause then i was stuck with 5 doz jumping beans and no where to sell them so i had them the whole winter and i got so sick of them i sold them all but for my two breeders

10. marilyn1

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Yes, that would have been terrible, people can be a pain. I don't want to raise a lot. so I won't be incubating. If she hatches out a few here and there that will be fine. I really enjoy watching them and hearing the little sounds they make. I enjoy my 2 boys just as much. They are across the room from one another and will call back and forth. It would be cute to see a few grow up. But I would not have the time to do all the work involved raising them all the time. The lady I got them from was really into them and wanted the best for her little ones. She spent so much time with me picking out what we thought would a most compatible couple.. She hated to see the fighting and picking. The right match is great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by