Button sitting on eggs help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by goodheart101, Jun 23, 2010.

1. goodheart101

goodheart101 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    I have a set of buttons, I thought they were both female, but the one is sitting on the eggs and has been for a little over a week and a half, maybe even two weeks. Will a female sit on eggs that won't hatch? And should I take them away? I am not 100% positive they are both females but the other doesn't act like a male. Should I give her a sweetie to have a family. Lord knows I do not need anymore buttons. Or will she be upset because I seperated her from her partner and gave her to a strange male. But she sits so faithfully on the eggs in the little gazebo. I am at odds as what I should do. Any ideas?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    A female will sit on unfertile eggs, just like a chicken. Are you sure they are both female? It doesn't hurt them to get a break from laying, it's actually good for them to stop sometimes.
    You can take the eggs away or get fertile eggs for her. She won't be heartbroken if you take them away [​IMG]

What do the buttons look like? Males usually have red or rust colored feathers near the vent unless they are white or pied. Some silvers also don't have colored vent feathers. Most likely if you put her in with a male they will fight, buttons don't do well with new birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by