Buttons are HERE!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by duckncover, Feb 14, 2009.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THANK YOU BettaCreek!

Can anyone tell me what they think I'll get? I forgot already!

I still don't believe how healthy they all are! All 15 made it!

2. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Oh those look tiny. The grown birds are beauitful!

3. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Thank you!

I'm so happy with them!

4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Cute little group. Nice color mix.

5. ButtonQuailHeaven

ButtonQuailHeaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2009
    Michigan
    Looks like you have Silvers, Slates, Normals, Golden Pearls, Blue Face, double factor Blue Face and Red Breasted. I will be able to tell you for sure once they get more feathers in. Your adult female is Golden Pearl and your adult male is Red Breasted.

I have some suggestions for you as far as bedding for both your babies and adults. The babies should be on something better than paper towel and napkins. They will get splay leg if they don't have something they can't slip on. Some people use rubber shelf liner. I use pine shavings with hay over it.

The adults should not have the grate in the bottom of the cage. They may get a foot stuck and break a leg. Plus their feet are too small to properly walk on bars that far apart. It is not comfortable for them at all. Can you remove the grate or put a board or newspaper on top of it? They would be much happier that way. They would love hay too for bedding as they forage in it and make nests in it.

I don't use wire cages for Buttons since they tend to pop up easily when scared and they can scalp themselves or break necks. Do you have some type of padding inside of the top of that cage so they don't get hurt? You can even use the large bubble, bubble wrap. Good luck with them all!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  6. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    wow those are adorable!

7. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    BQH, the "black" ones have red stripes on them, doesn't that make them wild type? I tried to send a good assortment of colors of the larger, sturdier ones. They seem to have done really well with the trip, though hubby and I didn't fare so well, having spent 10 hours on the trip because of an accident on the interstate.

8. ButtonQuailHeaven

ButtonQuailHeaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Whoops!! Yes, I thought they had yellowish stripes. You are right!! Maybe you need to take over naming the mutations for me, LOL?!? Pictures just aren't as good as seeing it in person. Wow, I sure hope duckncover appreciates what you did for him! You and your husband rock!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  9. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Lol. You can't really see it in pictures. It was hard to see the red stripes on the runt as well, and I originally thought that he was a blue-faced. In pictures, you just don't see it. I wasn't sure though, I rely on you for accurate colors, lol.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Aren't baby buttons the cutest? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by