buttons

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Brianm97, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    what is everything i will need to keep a pair of buttons and what is the minimal tank size

2. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    If they are adults you wont need heat. They can be kept as pairs in as little as 16inX11in.
    If you use a glass tank be sure it has a screen top. You want great ventilation but something soft enough they can't bonk on it.
    They will need a water source that is clean.
    A high protein food source such as gamebird starter / turkey starter / chick starter mixed with higher protein (they love treats to but don't NEED them )
    A calcium source like oyster shell
    A finch seed
    Bedding material. Many types can be used. Newspaper can give them splay legs so I'd steer clear of that but a shelf liner on the bottom with pine shavings works well.
    They do like hiding so you can add fake plants, wood pieces, clay flower pots too.

3. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    what sized aquarium would that be

4. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    If you use an aquarium I'd go with at least 10 gallons for a pair.

5. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    i have one is that to small or will they be comfterable

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  6. goodheart101

goodheart101 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    I think 10 gallon is too small. You might be better with a big clear plastic tote and cut out the top and put screen in it better than an aquarium. I buy allot of cages off of Craigslist cheap from around the area for my buttons. Usually the ones I get are called small animal cages, or rabbit cages I buy off of craigslist. I usually get them for a few dollars to about 20 for a cage. Just an idea.

7. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    I have one pair in a homemade cage that is 15inches High, 23inches long, and 15inches wide. It has soft shade cloth/mesh as a lid so they dont 'boink' up and hurt themselves, they have a self filling feeder & a flat dish for food, aswell as a water bowl, i have a plywood base covered with a good thickness of wood shavings, they have a small wood box as a hidey hole/nest box, I also have a small plastic tub filled with sand for them to 'dust bath' in.

My quails are outside 24/7 (its not nearly as cold here in Australia as elsewhere)
    My buttons are happy and together (male&female) they hatch and raise all their own chicks before i move them into their own cage- simalar set up.

If anyone can suggest new ideas or improvements to my way of doing things, im happy to listen & learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by