Buy eggs or buy chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tanichca, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I have a broody, and I would like to get her some babies. Since our flock fertility rate is ridiculously low, I will have to get her either baby chicks or eggs. Pro's and con's for each?

Eggs (pro's)
    I would know what I was getting was from a breeder.
    Broody would be able to hatch them out herself.
    I would get to watch chicks hatch, always fun! [​IMG]

Eggs (con's)
    Shipped eggs [​IMG]
    Possibility of a lot of roosters.
    She might quit, its her first time as a broody, after all.
    $$$
    There may not be eggs available in the breeds I am looking for.

Chicks (pro's)
    Pre-sexed.

Chicks (con's)
    Less of a variety from breeders.
    The one "breeder" who sells chicks here can't even spell right, which is worrisome. Wouldn't a real breeder be able to spell the names of their breeds?
    Chicks may be flighty, as chicks hatched by someone else usually are.

So, anyone have any ideas as to what I should do?

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Tricky decision [​IMG] I agree that if you breed a specific breed of chicken you should know the correct spelling, I'd make sure to see the adult birds before parting with money for them.
    You could always do both let her set a few eggs and get a few chicks at hatch time [​IMG]

3. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    Since it's a hard choice, do like others and go both ways. Hatch the specific breed you want and supplement the flock with hatchery chicks.

There is always a breed you want that the hatcheries don't have, so you have to get eggs to hatch, deal with the roos. Then on the everyday breeds, you just order chicks, get a less then pure breed sexed about 90% right.

There is no 100% answer for this question, it's a choice you have to deal with. I do both but found it's cheaper to buy chicks, they tend to be cheaper then the eggs. Now I do hatch out the eggs from my hens but always want to replenish the flock with a new genetic line.

4. wishingbee

wishingbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    SW Washington
    I had a difficult time making the same decision, and I ended up choosing to buy eggs.

Why? Well, I really wanted a specific breed (Faverolles) and it is SO much easier finding great eggs than it is to find someone who will ship quality chicks. Plus, I wanted the experience of hatching my own birds. [​IMG]

Good luck with whatever you decide! Hope you get the chicks you want one way or another. [​IMG] BTW, I love mrslb333's suggestion. Do both! [​IMG]

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Nice pro/con list.You didn't say if a specific breeds was important to you.

Have you considered fertilized brown eggs from the grocery store ( only certain stores like Trader joes has them) or

buy just a few chicks from a hatchery like Meyers or Ideal.

Tough decision. IMO doing eggs and chicks is risky. CHicks may be a good way to give you hen a little experience. Or the fertilized eggs from the special grocery stores is a cheap way to try for her first effort at brooding.

Good luck!

6. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Well, I would like some partridge silkies and some turkens or other layer breed. It would be next to impossible to see the "breeders" birds, as she lives almost two hours away. And what with gas prices the way they are... ugh.
    Is it a problem to try to hatch eggs of different sizes (bantam silkie and large fowl turken) in the same brood?

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Just a thought - perhaps English is not their original or strong "use language"? My precious Mother spoke 6 Languages but English was not a strong language for her and she really butchered it [​IMG] to our continual amusement [​IMG] !!! I sure do miss her [​IMG] !!! Now back to the pip show [​IMG]

"The one "breeder" who sells chicks here can't even spell right, which is worrisome. Wouldn't a real breeder be able to spell the names of their breeds?"

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. You can buy some fertile eggs from a specialty store and get some chicks too. As the other posts said with ordering chicks you are pretty much certain they will all be pullets if that is what you order but with eggs you don't know what gender you may end up with. Most of my hatches are around 50/50 or 60 pullets/40 cockerels. Only once when I ordered chicks did I get a cockerel. All of my other orders were all pullets. Most hatcheries give a 90% accuracy guarantee.

9. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote:Good thought but even here in England where I live the immigrants speak better English than the locals. I regularly see adverts for Winedot chickens and Cangula ducks [​IMG]

10. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I was having the same issue the past week. I finally decided to give my girl some eggs to try.. I posted on craigslist and had a lady near my husbands work bring me some BR & Americana eggs.. She told me if the hatching went unsucessful to contact her in 3 weeks and she would give me some chicks to place under her!!!

Now if I had to have eggs shipped I probally would have let her sit a couple weeks on the unfertile eggs she had and then put chicks under her! But finding eggs locally made me want to give her some eggs!!! Try looking locally for some eggs!! GL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by