Buy Gamebird Starter online?

CuriousQuail

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 22, 2012
Los Angeles
I can't seem to find a local source for gamebird starter or even turkey/chicken starters. I might not be looking hard enough or using the right keywords but does anyone know a source in the Los Angeles area or an online store that's not too expensive?

Try the Purina Mills website here:
www.wildlife.purinamills.com/products/

Look for
Purina Game Bird Startena

There's a link for where to buy and you can look for a store in your area. Call ahead and ask them to special order it if they don't normally carry it.

You can get feed online, but it will be more costly and the shipping costs will kill you even more.

Last edited:
Yeah I just called a dozen places lol. They either didn't carry it at all or the carried Game Bird Breeder or chick starter (medicated).

The only place I've seen the game bird startena online is strombergchickens and it's almost $57 shipped for a 50lb bag.

hit.gif

EDIT:

Finally called a store with starter! But they didn't know what I meant by medicated.... but they said they had purina! So I'm going to check that out this week :)

Last edited:
I raised my quail on flock raiser, it may be easier to find.

One guy did say he had flock raiser. I guess he was suggesting that it'd work. I'm more so concerned about feeding them the right stuff for development. Purina Startena seemed to be suggested the most.

Last edited:
They often won't tell you if it's medicated or not. Sometimes that's all you can get depending upon where you live (Pheasant Belt and such). Although some here will curse you up and down for using medicated, it's all I can find in my area. I've weighed the pros and cons and made peace with it. I do change over my layers to Purina Gamebird Layena when they get older. Again, I did the research on protein content, etc. and I've decided to do it.

At the one feed store near my (others are 1-2 hours drive away), I'm happy to get gamebird anything sometimes. There are several times my husband has come home with Purina Flock Raiser (for mixed birds) or Sunfresh Layer (for chickens). Half the time it's because the feed store didn't know what we wanted and half the time because they were out of everything.

Homegrown Gamebird and Poultry Starter is 30% protein and I get it at my local Ace Hardware store, Wilco, and Del's (now Tractor Feed). I've been feeding it to all my quail, chickens (both dwarf and standard sizes), ducks (Call size and Standard), and button quail. I get eggs every day from my ducks and quails and its below freezing out.

Back
Top Bottom