1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

buy incubator or build one

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lost, May 10, 2008.

1. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    are the homemade incubaters better than the store bought ones

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would buy an incubator.

3. lost

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    thank you for your reply

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    If you can afford it a boughten incubator would be better IMHO

5. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

wellllllllll..! i have a home made incubator and i think it works just as god or better! u have to know what you are doing tho. and its much cheapper to build. but if your just not sure then i would go with buying one [​IMG]. but word of advise on buying.... do NOT buy a little giant.. they suck.. imho. hope i helped.. hovabatora are nice
    [​IMG]

6. lost

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    why do some people feed there chicks bread is that ok if so my dad is a bread man thanks for yalls reply

7. redneck

redneck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2007
    Lynchburg,Tn.
    I have hatched about 50 chickens in my homemade incubators. I never have owned a store bought incubator. I also have a hatch rate of about 80%. Some are 95%. Here is my newest one that I am warming up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. justinszoo

justinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    redneck

Love the bator [​IMG] sent u a PM

9. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    I would say it depends on how handy you are and whether or not you enjoy the building. I have both and enjoyed the building as much as the rest of the process.

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I have an antique wooden chest incubator that houses 800+ eggs. Sometimes it's a pain to get the humidity and temperature right on the money, but it's a great machine.

For our next hatch later in the year, I'm planning to make one of MissPrissy incubators, the Chick Bator. It looked simple enough and I think I could get some great pictures from the see through sides. I'll do it as a project with my 3 year old son and we'll post pictures to our blog so our relatives can read it.

Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by