1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BUY NOTHING DAY - Nov 28

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickiebaby, Nov 27, 2008.

1. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I don;t even have to click the link to know I won't be shopping. What a mess it is!!!! I will wait, thank you very much. people get crazy!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well, I won't be buying anything tomorrow but I will buy a permit to cut down a tree in the forest for a Christmas tree. We have an artificial one, but there is nothing like the scent of pine throughout the house.[​IMG]

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Cutting down a tree to appreciate its beauty does not count as shopping in my book. It is mindless rampant consumerism that this holiday targets. Hope you find just the right tree!

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I was once one of those crazy people who got up at 4am to get the best deals. My daughter talked me into it, once. [​IMG] I will never do that again.

Tomorrow I will be staying home with my DS making Christmas cookies. [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

The only time I ever shopped that day after was when one store was having a 1/2 off sale for that day only - it was a specialty store and my mom collects Swarovski crystal animals and this store had them. I paid $30 for a $65 piece. One store and out.... It was still a nightmare.

7. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    my mother just started this last year....she will be getting up in approximately one hour....i never have...im thinking of going with her for like a half hour this year to see if i can find some cheap pvc to make my new feeder lol....but then again, im sure something like that wont be gone around noon when i actually want to get up lol....well see if i feel like it then or not....im debating on going to sleep now or just staying up.....im pretty tired and i know that i will not get up if i go to sleep.....all well....i guess sleep is....nothing like writing something down to sort out your thoughts and making it clear to yourself what to do....i tell ya almost everytime i type something on here the answer seems sort of obvious, doesnt hurt to have opinions though...ok good nite lol

8. andorraclaim

andorraclaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    East Austin, Texas
    This is the first time my family will be celebrating this together. I am stoked.

9. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    I donʻt care if you are well-off or dirt poor, you should intentionally boycott Black Friday. It only shows the Pavlovian response of the American consumer that we can be trained to spend our holiday/year-end bonuses 30 days early just so the charge bills will arrive the same day as our checks. I give gift cards on Christmas morning and then offer my family rides to the best clearance sales during the week after the holiday. They get more, I spend less and we have some great family time together cashing in on the retail industryʻs stupidity.

10. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Pavlovian response or not, tomorrow a saw my SO has been needing for what seems like forever will be marked down almost $300, and we'll be there to snatch it. Not even ebay has matched that deal on this saw . . . it may be a ploy to up mindless consumerism, but Black Friday sure has its perks. I do approve of the protests, though, and we certainly won't be buying anything else just because it's pretty and on sale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by