buy, ship, use marek's vaccine?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kim_NC, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Anyone ordered marek's vaccine and had it shipped?

jefferslivestock.com has the vaccine for $9.95 with Sterile Diluent. They say it's shipped with ice packs. They also offer an optional insulated container for $3.00.

It has to be kept cold then? Someone fill me in or share your experience with mail ordering Marek's vaccine.

Also - what size needle & syringe do you prefer?

2. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    I order Marek's from Jeffers.

I get the extra insulated container. The insulated bag is nice for cooler weather, but with it getting warmer ( and I don't want to pay for overnight delivery) I'd get the styrofoam. I also pay for an extra ice pack. I store the virus vial in the refrigerator and the sterile diluent at room temp.

It says on the instructions that you can use 20-22 gauge needles to vaccinate. My experience is that is too large. I use 18-20 gauge needles to make the stock but vaccinate with 25 gauge needles.

I buy tuberculin needles (1 cc syringe and a 25 gauge needle), pull up a full 1cc and innoculate 5 chicks with it and throw it away. I also use alcohol prep pads to moisten the chick down and disinfect the injection site.

It's not hard at all. I get help holding the chick, so I just have to concentrate on the vaccination.

Good luck!

3. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Do you mean that you use 1cc per chick or use 1/5 of a cc per chick Ryu?

4. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    1/5 cc or 0.2ml per chick.

I draw up 1cc of vaccine in the syringe, and that's enough to do 5 chicks (1cc=1ml).

5. Zgoatlady

Zgoatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    So can you only do one day old chicks? I just have 3 week old BC and would love to get them done. But cant now?
    Thanks
    Cheri:/

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes you can as long as the chicks are not exposed to older birds prior to vaccination. I brood in the house and vaccinate up to a month old, but the chicks have no contact with the older birds outside. Check out my website and I have a tutorial on how I do the Mareks vaccination. I use the same needle for all the chicks I do in one shot. I have about 30 to do here before too long and I use the same needle for all then throw it out.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I vaccinated mine for Mareks with a 30 gauge. (I have an "in" with syringes [​IMG] )

8. Kim_NC

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:Smoky, would you leave a link to the page with your tutorial. I actually saw that mentioned in another of your posts yesterday - but then I couldn't find the page. (I did enjoy my visit though. [​IMG] )

Thanks everyone for your replies & help.

9. Kim_NC

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Oh, I forgot this ?.....

Don't you have to keep them separated then for something like 10 days?

10. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by