Buy Your Feed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by FeedYourself, May 14, 2011.

1. FeedYourself

FeedYourself Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Washington State
    The unintended consequence of flooding farmland first will be the increased cost of corn and complete feed. I was at my local store today, and he told me the following:

A 50lb sack of cracked corn going from $12.99 to $15.49 on Monday.
    A 50lb sack of 20% protein broiler feed going from $14.99 - $16.99 Monday.

I didn't really want to spend the money today, but I purchased a significant quantity to help get me to my scheduled butchering day of June 18.

Hopefully, your price changes will be much less significant in your part of the country.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    My DH just said why are they flooding the farmland? What about America's food? He said buildings can be replaced but people have to eat! I told him it is all about the money. You can bet the insurance companies want the farmland flooded rather than the towns and cities. And really, it comes down to sacrificing a few in favor of the many. It is a tough call any way you look at it.

3. walls0stone3

walls0stone3 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    uh? it's not like some grand capital plan. here in pa, our farm land is flooded due to rain. people don't know it all eather. how much grain is in storage? what is the expected usage by stock ect bla bla bla and what about a few years back when corn was expected to go go go after the ethonal deal and then it went on it's fanny come harvest. it's really complicated.

Any how, getting out on the fields has just been far to hard this past month and planting will cost more as well due to the cost of fuel...thank you speculators.

on the other side of the coin, ppl who have put it into the heads of the public that we can some how grow corn in mass without the use of chemistry and large equipment and still suport the masses is just nutts.

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] It sounds like you have a front row seat on all this and could probably teach us all a thing or two. Please stay around and let us know more about you!

5. FeedYourself

FeedYourself Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Washington State
    Quote:My intent was to let folks know (if they didn't already) that feed prices are going up fairly quickly, and some may be able to save some $ if they buy now.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Feed prices are complicated aren't they! Fuel prices up = grain prices up. Grain diverted for ethanol = increase grain prices. A big harvest can bring prices down but the ability to hold the grain in storage also can keep the prices up. THe major driving force is the high price of fuel and fertilizer, all crude oil products. We need the crude oil prices to come down--come down substantially. Apparently, we import at very high levels now over 60% of our oil use is imported oil; during the oil embargo of the 70's it was in the 30's. HUH? Dependence on foreign oil is a financial nightmare for Americans. Been trying to figure out how to feed my birds raising vegies and other foodstuffs to supplement the grain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by