buyers beware!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickadeeMom, May 14, 2011.

1. ChickadeeMom

ChickadeeMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    I'm not sure if I'm in the right place but I recently purchased 2 Chickens from a lady in Hagerstown md and they're now sick.

Runny nose .. no smell though, wheezing coughs.
    Unsure what it is but jts something to be aware of.

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry they're sick. That's why quarantine is recommended before adding chickens to a new flock. Sometimes chickens seem healthy when someone buys them, but they're carrying a few disease organisms in their body. Or they pick up a few disease organisms at their new home. With a healthy immune system and no stress, they may fight it off fine and never look sick. In a new home, though, with all the stress that comes from all those changes, they get sick. Stress is bad for the immune system. This is a good reminder for the new people.

3. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    UGH, I feel for ya!

This is why I have a real aversion to buying hens from a swap or something. I just have to get chicks and raise them the long way

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x 2. This is why I prefer to order from hatcheries.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Even hatcheries get their chicks from local farms sometimes and do not check for MG/MS. MS will cause them to sneeze , have clear drainage and congestion, sometimes to their death. The MG most people are familiar with but the MS they don't usually notice until stressed. It will cause something like artritus as the chicken ages, they will lay less than normal and their immune system is impacted. They will seem to be over it and be carriers for life. Also it is transmitted to hatching chicks by the egg. They will tell you they check for mg but will not guarantee that they are ms free. [​IMG]
    I know this from a very painful experience last winter when i had my whole flock put down with this. [​IMG] I got it through hatching eggs from someone else [​IMG]. Gloria Jean

6. ChickadeeMom

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    I'm still pretty new with chickens and never thought to keep the away from my others. I just fear its something really bad.
    I have decided to close my flock of 5. And build a new bigger coop for my chicks in the grow pen

7. ChickadeeMom

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    Well the vet came out and depending on what's found he will be paying the woman a visit!

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]
    Don't understand why the vet would be contacting this person, if they have a something contagious then the animal health commission in your state should be contacted, they will be the ones to come out and advise and mabe test the entire flock not the vet.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Whatever happened with this situation? Did the vet find anything?

It occurs to me that this is a 2 way street, in that your chickens may be carriers and gave something to the new birds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by