Buying a bator, advice plz!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cariboujaguar, Feb 23, 2009.

1. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    Has anyone bought the Combo: #1611&#1602N Hovabator and auto egg turner fromCackle Hatchery for $104.95?
    Any links to better deals or product reviews on this one are much appreciated!!!

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    If I ever buy an incubator (right now we're building one) I'm going to buy the Hovabator 1588 Genesis. A lot of people on BYC swear by it.

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi CJ,

I would advise you to take your time and not rush into buying an incubator. This is something I learned the hard way. When I decided to buy an incubator, I talked to lots and lots of folks and I specifically asked for the good, bad, and ugly on all recommendations.

I would suggest you ask yourself the following questions, if you haven't already. How many eggs do I plan to hatch each year? How often do I plan to hatch? What is the life expectancy for each incubator? How is their hatch rate? What are the pros and cons of each? Do I plan to upgrade later? How easy is it to get maintain it or get replacement parts? For example, if an egg explodes can I clean and sanitize it so it can be used again or must I chuck it and buy another? How much use can I expect to get out of it?

For what it's worth, I looked at spending over $100 for a Hovabator and then decided I'd buy a used GQF Sportsman instead. I got one that was almost like new, with the clear door and extra water bucket set up for either $350 or $400. Can't remember for sure now but I know I saved over a couple of hundred bucks from a new one.

Hope that helps.

God Bless,

4. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    Well the thing is husband is saying get one now with tax money or you won't get one for a long long long long time. I have no expectations about how many eggs to hatch, I want to buy about 4 dozen eggs and keep under 45 chickens because I know they won't all hatch successfully and then some will be roo's for eating...
    I would like as much education as possible, I dont' think we will ever find the time to build one, and to be honest it intimidates the crud out of me, just seems really complex. i'm not the smartest with building things LOL

5. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    I just found a used Murray McMurray picture window incubator with egg turner on craigs list- waiting on price... what kind is this, how much would you pay? what kind of questions would you ask? thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by