Buying a duck house online

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hegatha, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Hello I am looking to buy a coop or dog house for my ducks online I currently have 6 ducklings. I would love to know what others have bought and if it lasted a long time. Ideas would be great! I have looked on Amazon, Wayfair, and also cconly.
    Thank you

2. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    We have mostly used free doghouses we found on Craigslist. I think for ducks plastic is better than wood. Our ducks don't use the shelters much, though.

The best nesting box I have found for ducks is an A frame cedar cat house but mostly they like nesting along the fence line under the cotoneaster growing over the top of our fence. We have also used dome shaped commercial garbage can tops as nesting shelters. You can save money if you get creative.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    what size ducks?

4. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    Over the years I have had ducks in all shapes and sizes. We have bantam Australian Spotted ducks and Call ducks now but I want to move the Calls out this year, after they are done hatching, and just keep the Spots. I even had jumbo Pekins for a short time but they were too annoying since they are bred exclusively for meat. I mostly raised Muscovy ducks for meat and I liked them but they take up more space and eat more.

I have one plastic house that looks like a tree stump and the ducks sometimes use it. They prefer smaller spaces with small openings and ducks like to have two openings so they can't get trapped inside. In the past I have even used irrigation pipes but it makes it too hard to reach inside if we need to get them out.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    The first one is what I was looking at which made me ask what size ducks. The first is 12sq ft of space which is kind of tight for 6 mid size ducks.

The last one, that is unavailable, is likely your best bet for size.

How handy are you, is building a simple duck house an option?

6. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    I am pretty handy and could build something but I don't know that I have all the right tools to do it. I forgot to put one more this was the other option one from CCONLY. Now I do have an 8x10 shed that my chickens are currently in but I don't know how they would be together. I am adding the extra space currently but the areas are separated by a door. See picture below I just wanna make sure the ducks have there own space just in case.

http://www.cconly.com/coop__hutches/cc-18_series[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  7. 2ducksCT

2ducksCT Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2015
    I bought my coop here: http://www.ranch-coop.com/
    I emailed with the owner to discuss the best coop for my 2 ducks (pekin and indian runner duck). My ducks seem very happy and safe. I put a 1/4 wire mesh on the ground to keep out digging predators. I've had my ducks for over 2 years now and once caught a fox sniffing around the coop, but no predator has gotten in.

8. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    We built the garden coop (plans purchased online) and it works well, despite the house being off the ground.

I was a little weary of how the ducks would take to the ramp, but within a week they were going up on their own at night.

I think it's probably too small for more than 5 adult ducks, but I like that the extra run area that having the hen house raised affords.

I just mention it because it was remarkably easy. I looked at a whole bunch but really liked the size of the garden coop. Figured I'd try my hand at building it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  9. mommysducks4

mommysducks4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    Douglasville
    We are about to build our duck house and fence it in I've seen alot of them but I have four ducklings now but want to give them plenty space till we fence in our whole property so what is a good amount of square footage for them to be happy and spoiled lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by