Buying a prefab coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Aemelia, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Anyone have any links where to start?

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Honestly, I can't think of a prefab coop that I've ever seen that's designed with proper ventilation. It seems awful to pay $$$ for a coop and then just have to cut holes in the walls to put in vents.

What I did was design the coop I wanted, then I got someone to build it for me locally.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm pretty sure there are some ad links on the BYC home page? The thing to really watch for are the ads telling you that the coop will fit 10 chickens when it will really only fit 3. I might be exaggerating, but not by much.

4. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    I bought the chick-n-villa for around $400 and I was not impressed, but not screaming in anger either. It is suitable for a breeding pen or a temperate climate, but I probably will not use it in the New England winters. It is a little flimsy, too drafty and very small. If you are interested in that line, go to crittercages.com for good prices. Good luck!

5. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Well I need small we only have 3 chickens (only allowed 2) so most all the plans on here I have seen are too big. I think I just need a glorified dog house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by