1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buying a Scale

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by new2chickens2011, Dec 6, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I can't find one!!! Where did you buy your scales to weigh your meat birds? I don't have much $ to spend....
    Thanks!

2. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    Hmmm? Google?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    A google search should come up with a number of scales for sale.Where i live, scales have to be certified by the county.Of course if your doing things on the sly, that doesn't matter, but you want a scale that is accurate to be honest with your clients.Serach google, you should be able to find one fairly easy..

4. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Lol......you beat my reply by a minute F106A...lol...hey were on the same page,,,!

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    I had the same question...and was going to purchase a hanging fish scales from sporting good store. Most are under $20.

Has anyone weighed their chickens using either a fish scales or a luggage scales?

6. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I have a hanging fish scale we got for less than $20 at Wal Mart..I think...or Academy...it's been a while...I use a bucket or sling and zero it out then put in whatever live thing needs weighing.

Either way, it's pretty accurate and for backyard type stuff it works. Nothing fancy...but I like it well enough and being digital it's nice to be able to just read the weight and not be guessing which line the thing is pointing at! I have bad eyes [​IMG] I also have a postal type scale I got at Walmart for less than $25 - it's a little more precise, and easy to use in the kitchen once things are already processed.

the only thing that kills me is remembering to keep working batteries in the darn things!

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    For your own knowledge, a baby scale works well for live birds and a fish scale works well for dead birds.

If you need the weight because you are going to sell them by the pound, you must have a certified scale. So now you are talking some money.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Just my opinion, but if you're just going to tell someone to use Google then don't bother. I'm old as Jesus and know that.

9. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Quote:Hahaha [​IMG]

10. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by