1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buying a Thermostat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ddeans, Dec 11, 2008.

1. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So, the wife wants to make a home made bator, and I didn't mind helping on this feat even though I am not sure a home made will be anything better than store bought, other than cheaper, but hey, Ill give it a whirl.

First problem I ran into.. Where can I buy a thermostat?? I don't want to use a hot water heater one so I was thinking of the wafer style ones because they work well (i think atleast). I can find the wafer them selfs here:

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=110

But, I need something that it tell "hey you can turn on now to" I am going to be using light bulbs as a heat source, so where can I buy the part that this thermometer tells to give/release power from?

Does anyone know? Actually I am sure someone does, just hopefully they read this thread...

2. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    someone on here iwll probably have a better idea, But I used a dimmer switch attatched to the lightbuld wiring.

3. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:As in a light dimmer? So that the light or element will always be on?

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
  5. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:What you have shown here is only the wafer you will need to order the swtich as well It will be on the same site I think it is called the wafer swtich. You can also order a small light that you can wire in with the swithch that will tell you when stat is on or off. I guess if you have a light for a heat souce that wont be necessary. The switch and wafer combined is about 15 bucks

6. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
  7. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    You can get an electronic digital thermostat from any Reptile/snake shop.
    David

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by