Buying a used brooder/incubator - inexpensive, no many eggs needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yazzymon, Dec 24, 2010.

1. yazzymon

yazzymon Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    Is there anyone out there with a small incubator that perhaps is moving to a larger size. I would like to raise some Olive eggers and have low funds/tight budget.

any advice is appreciated as well, b/c I am new and have NO experience with them...I have had one broody hen and chicks in the coop but not an incubator.

Many Thanks! Happy New Year! Jamie Bellingham, WA

[​IMG]:ya

2. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    You can build your self one out of a ice chest for a little of nothing, & the one I made works as good as any one iv seen, Omaha Steaks ice chest works the best & will hold 20-24 eggs.

3. yazzymon

Oct 14, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    Quote:Yes, but where do the chick go once they've hatched?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You'll need to make a brooder box with a heat lamp for them once they hatch. Large rubber maid containers make good brooder boxes and are easy to clean and store when you're not using them.

5. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep.. Tubs, storage bins... They are easy to make for weeks 1-4, after that you have to make them a little bigger... Here is my 1-4 week brooder.. I just put some wire netting over the top and clamp it down so they don't get out, and nothing gets in.

[​IMG]

If you are raising a small number (3-4) you can use a bird cage... I started 9 Bantams in a bird cage for the first week, before.. wouldn't do that again, but 3 or 4 would be great.

6. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    i have been collecting ideas to make my own aswell ( off this site ) https://www.backyardchickens.com/chicken-coop-incubator.html ) & then i was thinking well i need a brooder but remembered i have an old rat cage that i can turn into one ill just drill out a hole in the side for a light & that should do them quite well for the 1st few weeks then they can go out into the small coop with a light.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  7. yazzymon

Oct 14, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    Do you all think a ten gallon clear glass fish tank would work for 4-8 chickies? if so, how long could they be in this and then where do they go?

Many Thanks! for the pic and ideas!!!!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:8 will outgrow it very quickly.....and 4 within a short time too. It's much easier to keep a brooder clean if you don't overcrowd it with chicks.

9. yazzymon

Oct 14, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    Quote:8 will outgrow it very quickly.....and 4 within a short time too. It's much easier to keep a brooder clean if you don't overcrowd it with chicks.

yah but then where do they go?

10. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I used the cardboard box as brooder box. The 40w-100w incandescent light bulb w/any type of light socket will do the trick. It all depend on the size of the box. You need to keep the temperature approximately 90F-95F 1st week and 5F lower each week.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by