Buying an Electric Yogurt Maker Opinions

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PineappleMama, Nov 9, 2010.

1. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

So there are a couple different ones over on amazon, not to mention ebay, and I'm rather stumped as to which, if any, are worth buying.

There's this one... http://www.amazon.com/Deni-5600-1-Quart-Electric-Yogurt/dp/B000I6PHV8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1289358863&sr=8-6

Deni
    5600 1-Quart Electric Yogurt Maker
    $25.44 w/free SS shipping
    Claims to work with the blue packet of culture which amazon also sells (scroll down a bit), makes up to two quarts at a go, comes with 6 6oz jars.

Thoughts?

Then there's this other one http://www.amazon.com/Koolatron-TCYM-07-Yogurt-Maker-5-Ounces/dp/B000MFFDXM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1289358863&sr=8-3

Koolatron
    TCYM-07 Yogurt Maker 7 Jars (5-Ounces Each), White
    $18.88 eligible for free ship (add in culture and you're good)
    Works with green packet of culture which amazon sells, makes up to 42 ounces at a time, comes with 7 6oz jars

Thoughts?

Do both of those bite the big one, thus the lower price? Or are they good, and a heck of a deal? Or... ???

There are other ones on amazon, but these two are the least expensive so I started there. Any info appreciated. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    When I've made yogurt before, I just made it in the oven and it worked great. My biggest problem was that I never made any that tasted as good as what I bought at the store, so I gave up. I'd say read the reviews and go with the one that has the best reviews.

3. PineappleMama

Oven... well there's a snag. I'm living with a toaster oven... so many things I can't make just because of the very limited size, including height.

Many times I go with reviews, but I figure it never hurts to ask for more opinions. [​IMG]

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    You don't need a yogurt maker. Just get a widemouth stainless steel thermos. Mix up a good big spoonful of live culture yogurt & enough warm milk to fill the thermos(add some extra powdered milk if you want it thicker), cap it, and put it in a warm place. You can wrap it in a towel if you want to do so, but I've never found it later. 8-12 hours later, depending on temperature, the yogurt is done. I'd have to look up the temp for the milk. I've done it so many times I can do it by touch.

No money spent on electricity...

I've only had one batch fail in a decade of doing this & that time the starter was ancient.

If you get a batch that isn't quite thick enough, recap & put it somewhere warm for a few more hours. If it still doesn't thicken enough then use it in baking. This is really rare.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  5. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    You can also checkout Miss Prissy's page on making yogurt using canning jars and a cooler. I've done it her way several times and it worked great!

6. PineappleMama

Ah, excellent. Thanks y'all!

MIL nagged me for a list of possibles for Christmas so I threw that out there, and she was hunting on amazon and didn't know which one so thought I'd ask... hope I can catch her before she orders...

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I have been able to buy several Salton 5 jars Yogurt makers from thrift stores. But I now want more yogurt than the small jars make, so when my MiL wanted to buy me a gift I asked for a larger yogurt maker. She got me a Euro Cuisine 2 quart YM. I love it. It does a great job of making yogurt. I did a little research about making yogurt, and there are a number of things that you can do to make better yogurt. I now will buy the more expensive Greek style yogurt and I use it as a starter. I also condense my milk in order to make a thicker yogurt. I am still working on creating yogurt that is closer to the Greek style of yogurt.

MiLs are great sometimes when you compare them to your own mother. [​IMG]

8. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    I have the Donvier Yogurt maker and I enjoy it. I purchased extra jars so I could make more before the other jars became available. I always have a steady supply of yogurt. I would say checking out the thrift shops is a good idea. I found a larger one for a couple of bucks and use that one alot too.

Good Luck!

Nancy

9. PineappleMama

Quote:Oh I'd say that's an understatement... my mom is certified. Not certifiABLE, but certifED.

And thanks you two for the head's up on the thrift store, not that MIL ever goes there... heaven forbid. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by