Buying baby chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by huntersdad, Aug 17, 2013.

1. huntersdad

huntersdad New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Daleville,al
    Is there a site that will allow you to purchase small numbers of chicks all I have found sites that have a 15 or so minimum

2. Crazycomb

Crazycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    I just ordered 10 from http://www.idealpoultry.com I think you can order as few as 8 from them and shipping is very cheap compared to other hatcheries.

3. kcobbs

kcobbs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    I bought my babies from Meyer, until Dec. the minimum is 3.

4. ARWyandott

ARWyandott Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    I also just ordered from idealpoultry.com. Really great prices! $25 dollar minimum, no minimum # per say. I will recieve my order on Friday.

5. salkxsj

salkxsj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2013
    San Diego
    I ordered 2 my first time and 5 the next time. www.eastcountyzoo.com

6. Crazycomb

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    I received my chicks from Idealpoultry 2 weeks ago. They were so very healthy and have done very very well! Thank you Idealpoultry.com!

7. MandyFitch

MandyFitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    I just got off the phone with them. They won't send anything less than 25 now. I wonder what happened?

8. Crazycomb

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    You can buy as few as 8 from Idealpoultry.com and shipping is very cheap. Great, healthy chicks.

9. MandyFitch

MandyFitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Good to know, thanks!

So I've got six chicks coming next week from a local source but it's a straight run and I'm counting on getting three pullets out of the six. Don't regale me with horror stories please, I'm a cautious optimist![​IMG]

I really don't think more than six or eight chickens would be a good idea for my space. But reading about how difficult it is to integrate flocks makes me think I should load up on day-olds born within a few days of each other rather than wait the six weeks to find out how many I have left. Does that make sense? Chicks born within a week of each other CAN be integrated easily, right?

10. Crazycomb

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    I have read that but in my experience, I have added young chicks to the flock twice with very little problem and added to baby turkeys with the same results. I think it depends mostly on the breed of chicken :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by