Buying Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bdog, Aug 25, 2010.

1. bdog

bdog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Natchez, Ms. 39120
    Where does eveyone buy thier chicks!

I want to buy 5 RIR, 3 RIW, and 3 Barred Rocks!

All the places I can find have min. orderes of 25 chicks!

I am going to call a couple of the hatcheries and ask if they will ship less than 25 chicks.

Thanks,

Jimmy

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Several of the hatcheries will sell less than 25 but the shipping is super high. Maybe you could find a breeder near you?

3. bdog

bdog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Natchez, Ms. 39120
    Hi MS FB,

I noticed your from Glen, MS.

I got an e-mail from a friend about a guy who has or had a deer stand near Glen and killl 5-6 rattle snakes around it when he went to check it out!

I'll try and send it to you.

Thanks for the reply!

Jimmy

4. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    My first order was for 25 chicks from McMurray Hatchery. Yes, a 25 bird min order... (for the birds mind you, not the profit) and I gave 6 away for free at 6 weeks... Sold the rest on Craigslist for 18 bucks each at 16 weeks. Go get the 25 and do your marketing while they are small to sell them to locals. THey don't take up much room when small, and by the time they get bigger you can tell the ones you want to keep! Good luck in your new venture.... Nothinf like the taste of fresh salmonella free eggs if I do say so!!!

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:Yeah, I know the email you mean, it's from the Assistant Principle at the elementry school here. The deer stand of his is about 3/4 mile from my house, he killed 12 in that one day, the smallest over 3' long. Scary. The largest had 13 buttons I believe, can't remember, they were on the back of his four-wheeler when I saw them. Gave me the creeps, snakes aren't my "Thang".
    I've seen fewer snakes here on our place this year than ever before, so maybe they were all staking out his deer stand. [​IMG]
    oh, and before someone starts talking about killing the poor snakes, I'm sure they lost their heads by natural causes.

6. neilgal

neilgal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I bought mine from mypetchicken.com

7. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    My pet chicken will ship the fewest chicks. I believe 3 or 5?
    You could ask around your area and see if anyone wants to go in with you on a hatchery order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by