Buying Black Australorp chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LD Jackson, May 1, 2011.

1. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    I have been looking around at the different hatcheries online, Murray McMurray, Cackle, etc. and wondered how you folks felt about purchasing chicks from them, compared to purchasing them from a local feed store. I would rather purchase them locally, simply because I like doing business with this place and it is where I will be buying my feed. Having said that, he is purchasing them from a hatchery, so there may be no real difference, except the price. I have been unable to locate anyone in my area that has Black Australorps and I do want to get good birds. What are your thoughts or ideas?

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    We bought ours from a local feed store that orders from Privett hatchery, She's very pretty and has a nice temperament. And although buying direct saves you some money, sometimes depending on shipping, the feed store is responsible for any birds that end up DOA when they order them. So it may be better int he long run if you want a few birds to get them from the feed store. And if the feed store doesn't ordinarily include black australorps in their order from the hatchery many feed stores will be happy to special order your breed for you to ship with their regular order. Be prepared to pay for your "specials" when you place the order though, it's our feed store's way of ensuring that you come back to pick up your chicks when they arrive.

3. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Quote:Thanks for your input. The feed store I have been talking to says they will be glad to order the Black Australorps for me and since I am a regular customer, have a charge account and all that, that won't be a problem. I do need to find out which hatchery he orders from. I do so want to make sure I get good birds.

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought six australorp "pullets" from Tractor Supply on the first day of their Chick Days. One of them turned out to be a rooster, but all six of them lived and thrived. They are nine weeks old now and they are super healthy and beautiful. I am even glad one of them is a roo, because he is already a great flock leader, though a little bit of a worry wart about his girls. I intended on ordering from McMurray, but decided I didn't want to start out raising 25 chicks until I knew what I was doing. I grew up on a farm and we had chickens, but Mama Hen did all the chick raising.

5. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Quote:I actually have been on the phone with a gentleman in Muskogee that will sell me BA chicks for $1.50 each and will deliver them. (He happens to be coming this way on Tuesday.) I think I am going to buy 25 of them and hope there are 10 pullets in the bunch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by