Buying Chicken Wire/Hardware cloth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by guesswhokatysue, Aug 17, 2013.

1. guesswhokatysue

guesswhokatysue Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Maine
    Does anyone know of a cheap online place to buy rolls of that chicken wire? I can get it near my house for $50 for a roll of 1/2"x6'x50'. I'm just trying to see if there is an online outlet type store that people have used that might have some a tad cheaper. If not, oh well, I can handle the price locally, but I am really trying to save some money with this construction! [​IMG]

2. $1 per FT for 6' hardware cloth is the cheapest I have ever heard of. I have built a couple hundred coops with 1/2".

Wish ya the best.

3. guesswhokatysue

Aug 11, 2013
    Maine
    Well I am glad that it wouldn't be a rip off to get it through this place. I do like buying local, so if I can get chicken wire here for a good deal then that's pretty decent. We just started pricing it out and so far that was the best deal. [​IMG]

4. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Sounds like a good deal. Last year I bought a 3' hgh, 100' roll for $50 from Amazon, which was a lot less than anyplace locally. Sounds like you are getting a good deal.

5. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
  6. guesswhokatysue

Aug 11, 2013
    Maine
    I checked amazon and eBay, but I couldn't find something I felt good about. Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like my local store is doing it right. I checked lowes and almost died when I saw their prices haha

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's a great price!!

Is it GAW (galvanized after welding)?
    Is it 19ga wire?
    Is it nice and straight and smooth?

8. guesswhokatysue

Aug 11, 2013
    Maine
    I'm not sure only because they didn't have any in stock. I would hope the store many local farmers use wouldn't steer me wrong. Ill have to ask that before I order any for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by