buying chickens from stock yard?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by big red chicken, Oct 29, 2009.

1. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    There's this man who sells chicks and chickens at the stock yard. Wonder how ever1 else feel about buying from the stock yard. I'm a lil uncomfortable about it just don't know how healthy the chicks are.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you have doubts, I'd stay away. Why risk your whole flock to something that you may never be able to cure?

3. big red chicken

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    I'm beginning a new flock mine was killed by 3 stray dogs. But I was worry about eating there eggs and having worm and other health problems.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Even if you are starting new, if they were carriers of something or were sick, you would have to deal with that issue. If the stock yard seems clean and kept up, then go for it, but if you have any doubts, find someone who you can see their stock or can trust.

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I would be very hesitant, and i'm also not exactly sure what is meant by the term 'stock yard.' I'm a little pickier than some of my friends, but i want to know where my chicken has been before i bring it to my land. The more i read, the stricter i get. So i would say follow your gut. You don't want to rush into something bad just to be disappointed again after having lost your original flock.

edited to add: If i were starting over (which i have recently also done) i would either get chickens from someone i know - and know how they care for their chickens - or i would get them from a hatchery.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  6. big red chicken

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    PunkinPeep that is what my gut feeling told me, I guess I'll wait until Tractor Supply have some next spring.

7. big red chicken

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    silkiechicken I think I'm going to stick with the 6 chicks I have and buy more from a place I feel comfortable with.

8. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    The stockyard near our home allows poultry folks to set up and sell in their parking lot. Usually most of the same people every week. If you have an issue, you can see the same person the next week or visit his farm, etc.

Pretty high number of culls, though. Seems like the old timers take advantage of the suckers who don't know what they have and sell them for nothing.

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Thanks for the explanation. I definitely wouldn't buy there. [​IMG]

Here, there is the occasion chicken fair at the fairgrounds. To me, that seems like a recipe for disaster. I won't go near it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by