buying chickens online

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wayneh, Jan 25, 2011.

1. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    can you order chicks from an online sorce? I am just starting and would like to have 2 or 3 hens for eggs. would like to have different breeds to add a little color. would like to have Jave, Holland, Plymouth Rock or Dominque. thanks Wayne.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Absolutely. McMurray hatchery (mcmurryhatchery.com) is a popular one as is mypetchicken.com

3. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
  4. NYchickie

NYchickie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
  5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'd suggest checking around locally, also. I was surprised to learn how many small-time breeders there are in my area.

6. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  7. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    :lol:Thanks very much. We are just getting started and don't know much about chickens. We raised cattle for years but don't know a dime about chickens, well I can grill a mean beer can chicken. We will be asking a lot of dumb questions looks like. We didn't know untill today that we didn't have to have a rooster to have eggs. told you I would have some dumb questions. next dumb question, about when do I need to order chicks? We have to build our coop and run and its very cold now. I think we will start with about 3 hens and see how that works. Do the varieties that I listed sound good for egg production, and we live in NE Alabama so sumers are hot. Will the ones listed do ok with oour weather? Thanks Wayne

8. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    We all have done the learning curve. If you go to the BYC Home page, you will find Raising Chickens 101, Coop Design, and a wonderful Breeds chart. These tools will get you started and for whatever that doesn't cover...the forum is here for you.

9. mons02035

mons02035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Carmel, Maine
    For a rough idea of when to order. You will need to put the chicks in a brooder and at about 8 weeks (so long as it's not -20 outside) you can put them in the coop. So I would say order them 2 months before the projected coop finish date.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by