Buying chickens while waiting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LuvinMyPeeps, Nov 6, 2008.

1. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    Okay...I think I have a problem....I am soooo impatient waiting for my first egg I keep thinking about buying more chickens while I'm waiting. Do any of you do that too?

I seriously need to get a life. LOL. [​IMG]

My sister is coming for xmas so I need to show her some eggs or she'll make fun of me :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    If you don't get any of eggs from you hens buy some eggs from some else who has chickens place them in a pretty wire basket on your kitchen counter and brag, brag, brag.[​IMG]:lau:hugs
    She'll never know the difference.

3. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Haha I had 9 hens and wasnt getting eggs yet, so I set out to buy a few laying hens at the chickenstock and came home with 4 hens and a roo, younger than the ones I already had!

4. LuvinMyPeeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    Yeah - with my luck my sis will want freshly laid breakfast! BakBakBawKOK!! [​IMG]

5. LuvinMyPeeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    Quote:Hee hee...I'm there with ya ;-)....I'm sooo close to buying more chicks...

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I did. I hatched babies but wanted eggs now so I bought 2 laying hens.

7. Adri

Adri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    My husband did this and it didn't quite work. He bought a barred rock pullet, a month older than the ones that we had raised thinking she would be starting to lay any day. The 11 Catalana hens and one of the Ameraucanas starting laying right after he did that, and the barred rock still hasn't started!

8. Adri

Adri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Oh I should mention that day, he also came home with a pair of silkie chicks and a pig! All because he was anxious to get eggs.

9. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Bacon & Eggs!!! I love it! On the other hand I fight back the urge to go pick up laying hens every day since my flock got eaten last month by coyotes. Even my neighbor came over to tell me he met someone who is selling........ I have a bater of 28 eggs that will hatch in a few days but.............One day at a time......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by