BUYING CHICKS AT STORE TOMORROW! NEED HELP! AUSTRALORP OR BUFF ORP?

Gelo75

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 1, 2013
California
I am going to buy some chicks at the feed store tomorrow.
yesss.gif
But I have a question. Online isn't very useful
roll.png
, but I want to ask experienced people like most of you.
old.gif
lau.gif
Which would you recommend more: Australorps or Orpingtons? I need docile, calm, and nice chickens because I have toddler siblings at home and I want them to be like a pet
hugs.gif
. I also want good egg production. Which are more convenient, accepting, and overall better chickens. I had Buff Orps, and they were awesome, but I see a lot of good comments about the Australorp how it is like the Australian Orpington. Anything will help!
bow.gif
GOD BLESS!!!
wink.png

My orpingtons are dog like following me around. My australorps are my best brown egg layers, but the rooster is a bit aggressive.
So for your youngsters safety I would go for the orpingtons. I have two buff orpington roosters that are very friendly, and my blue orpington rooster is a bit standoffish but not aggressive like the australorp.
Steve

I think buffs tend to go broody more often, so BAs lay more eggs on average. Both seem to have nice temperaments, I find Buffs a little tamer. How about some of each?

I dont have any experiance with the buffs but I have 3 Ba's, 2 of them follow us around and allow us to pet them and feed them, the other girl we call the anti social as she runs the other way but she is the only one of the three that has ever went broody and successfully hatched out five chicks.. The roosters I know nothing about so I would defer to someone who knows how they are, ours is a Dominque cross

I have both and I would say they are pretty much the same. For me it comes down to color the BA's have beautiful coloring with blue and green sheen in the black, the Buff is just that buff. My BO rooster is a bit on the aggressive side.

I have both and they are only aggressive to the other chickens, still that being said they can both be confused if your children are small so don't give a cockerel two chances, if they look like they are going to flog your kids hit them with a pvc pipe and then they will understand who is off limits and you will not have to put him in the soup kettle.

Thank you for all your Help!
bow.gif
I bought two Australorps, but almost bought the orpingtons becaue one of the chickens didnt run but pecked my hand!
cool.png
I'll post some pics a little later for those who are interested.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom