Buying chicks at the feed store?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kieyamama, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Kieyamama

Kieyamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    NorCal
    So i'm in the process of researching what breeds of chickens I want and I was debating between ordering from My Pet Chicken or getting some from the feed store.

My question is, how do you know what sex you are getting from the feed store? I'm in the city and can't have a rooster. Just hens for us...

I could wait until tomorrow and just call the feed store. But i'm impatient![​IMG] So i'm asking you guys.

2. smfamf

smfamf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Most feed stores will sell banded pullets as well as straight run. You want the banded pullets if you can't have a rooster. All of my birds came from a feed store. We bought several sraight run and a few banded pullets to make sure we had a nice variety.

3. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Sometimes they are at the feed store long enough to tell!
    Most of mine are from the feed store, and they make fine pets. Often they will take back roosters, just ask. But don't ask what they do with them...

4. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes the feed store sell sex link...easier to discern sex by the color!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I got some chicks once from my local feed store and they were susposed to be pullets. One turned out to be a Roo. I gave him away. They did give me another chick. They get their chicks from hatcheries too. Maybe you could ask and see who they get their chicks from. I agree that sex-links can be sexed by color. Also some breeds can be feather sexed.

6. Horseychicken

Horseychicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2012
    theres this trick tnat you can sex chicks by picking thrm up by the scruff, the roos try to pull themselves up , and th hens just it there limply. hope i helped

7. JML72

JML72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    You'll pay more, but I can't recommend My Pet Chicken more strongly. Healthy, active, and all pullets (at least, 17 weeks in they all seem t be. I'm starting to get confident in that statement LOL). I know some have had bad experiences, but mine was great.

8. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    All the feed stores around where I live order from Ideal hatchery and offer pullets of different breeds, Bantams are always straight run....~Charm1704

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by