Buying chicks from the US

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jaguar6, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Jaguar6

Jaguar6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    Hello all,

I am interested in purchasing some chicks in the spring from a reputable hatchery. I know that there are several in the US. Unfortunately not so many in Canada where I am located. Has anybody ever had any experiences in crossing the border with live chicks into Canada. Do the US hatcheries provide documents when needed to cross the border? Any references as to which hatchery I should go with?
    I am looking particularly for Jersey Giants or Orpingtons.

Thanks,

Carolyn

2. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    I'm sorry I don't have any experience with your situation, but have you contacted any hatcheries and asked them how the shipping would work? I've been very happy with Meyer Hatchery in Ohio. They are very helpful. Good luck!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As far as I remember from threads about Canadian members ordering from US hatcheries, it can be a challenge and the "safest" way to do it is have them mailed to a crossing?

4. thomas h

thomas h Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2009
    Hammond Ontario Canada
    Ya ,,crossed the border to the post office . and picked them up.
    we asked for directions and was told follow me .. we followed and there was the post office ..
    mcmurry. hatchery . they had the papers for $60 .
    so 75 chicks less then a dollar each for delivery.
    you need the post office # before you order . Look on the net for the post office Number closest to you ...
    All the chicks were alive . be carefull 3died on the ride back . they got cold .

I would suggest buying more then you need . I would buy at least 10 of each. type .

I did not buy enought so now I need to buy more this spring . If you really want something nice you need to find a real breeder..not hatchery stock..

5. Koolduck

Koolduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Central KY
    Hey Thomas H, how about the other way around. I have a friend in Paris who visits me atleast twice a year. How difficult would it be to bring some nice Speckled Sussex pullets back in?

6. thomas h

thomas h Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2009
    Hammond Ontario Canada
    NOt sure ,,hope some one answers you .

excuse me I forgot to subscribe to the topic and just found this thread again..

I have a freind in paris ontario as well..

have fun,,,,

thomas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by