1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buying chicks. Need advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Keeahskreations, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Keeahskreations

Keeahskreations Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    I am a beginner at this raising chickens and will be purchasing chicks soon. I have a local hatchery who has two of the types that will be hatching at the end of the month. I am not sure about the other ones yet. I have looked on line and some chicks are about 1 or two weeks apart. Is this a big deal? I understand not putting the birds together if the age is considerably different, but is a week or two significant enough?
    Thank you

2. DNCXmom

DNCXmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Northern Califorina
    I built a brooder that had a divider. I put Rode Island Reds that I hatched myself on one side and then chicks that I received from a hatchery that where almost two weeks different on the other side. There wasn't to much difference. I took the divider out once I was sure all the hatchery chicks where healthy. They all do great together. I do not believe you should have any problem. 5 of the chicks in this group are silkies which are MUCH smaller then the rest, they also did just fine, with the older chicks.

3. redheadfarmer

redheadfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    SW Ontario
    I think it depends when you have a 2 week difference in age. If some of the chicks are day olds and the rest are 2 weeks old, I wouldn't put them together. The day olds will still be getting their land legs under them and sleep ALOT. The 2 weeks run and jump and have way more energy. That's been my expereince anyway.

If you are talking about mixing them up at 2 and 4 weeks, I would go ahead with it as there is less difference developmentally then.

4. MissCluckCluck

MissCluckCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    I once mixed week old EE chicks with 3 week old EEs, and I believe everything was fine. Heck, there were even some Button Quail in there! It took maybe a day for them to be... normal and calm, but they were all okay. They say that sometimes, young roosters will be very mama-ish towards baby chicks.
    The chicks that I mixed together are almost a year old, and all 5 of the roosters get along. I guess it could also depend on the breed you are mixing. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by