buying chicks vs hatching vs broody hen vs buying young pullets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cowchickfarmer, Dec 26, 2014.

1. cowchickfarmer

cowchickfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2014
    Arkansas the ozarks
    I have had three hens this year hatch babies but one has done two times this year I also have 22 eggs in the incubator welsummers bo rir ee leghorns I also bought five game pullets at my local chicken auction I don't ever plan on buying babies from big hatcheries so tell me what you do :p I'm not a new comer I have just been kicked out two times off of BYC

2. gotthefever

gotthefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2014
    So, what sre you getting at? Who to keep? Is the question about cost til production? Or limited space?

3. cowchickfarmer

Dec 26, 2014
    Arkansas the ozarks
    It is a question of asking what do you do to maintain your flock I'm seeing it that hatching your own eggs and getting your replacements and then selling your roosters ALSO ALL OF MY FRIENDS OUT THERE THIS IS BBISHOP

4. cowchickfarmer

Dec 26, 2014
    Arkansas the ozarks
    I was bishop not I got kicked out know I'm cowchick farmer

5. gotthefever

gotthefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2014
    Okay, so, you got kicked off twice. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Make a plan. Draw it on paper is a good thing.

Solid coop, lock them in at night, not a hook and eye, or slide bolt or raccoons will eat them. safety hasp with caribeener.

3 in of bedding in bottom with roosts on top. 2 in round for large fowl, 1 inch rounnd for bantams. you can use 2X4's for large fowl and maybe 2X2's for bantams.

Clear bedding with it gets nasty or add another few inches, then remove and replace next time.

Keep them in a pen for when you cant watch them. electric fence around....hardware cloth, chain link, mesh, wood fence, pallets...
    Cover on the pen (some kind of net, inexpensive to keep birds of prey out)

when they get 6 months old one rooster for many hens

nest boxes if you want to collect eggs.

no mold anywhere, food, coop etc.

water daybreak to sunset.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I typically hatch my own chicks, but I made a chick order this year for some breeds I've been eyeing for a while (and to get my standard sized flock going again).

We process all of our extra cockerels here, so I never worry about what I'm going to do with extras. Some nice specimens do get put on Craigslist or kept back for breeding purposes, but most of them end up in the freezer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by