Buying chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KristenF87, Jan 5, 2009.

1. KristenF87

KristenF87 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Gainesville
    I am new to chickens and my boyfriend and I are currently building a coop and looking into different types of chickens. The problem I have run across is that most hatcheries will only ship large quantities of chicks, we are only interested in 4 or 5.

Any advice or information on how to get my hands on a small number of healthy chicks would be much appreciated!

Also, I'm not 100% sure but I'm leaning towards "easter eggers." I read on My Pet Chicken that they are typically very friendly and docile and make great pets (not to mention their gorgeous multi-colored eggs).

Thank you [​IMG]
    Kristen
    Gainesville, FL

2. Apopka Cluckers

Apopka Cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Firstly, Welcome to BYC.

You are sure to get the answers to your questions here [​IMG]

I asked a question along these line a week ago. You might look to see if you have a feed shop in your area. I have 4 within 10 miles and 3 out of these 4 sell chicks and you can buy the quantity that you want. The owner even told me that he will order me 1 or 2 of any chick as long as I get my order in before he orders for the store.

The prices may be a little higher but you get the amount that you want and don't have to worry about the shipping costs or the small order costs that some hatcheries charge.

Hope this helps and again, welcome

3. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

I think mypetchicken will let you order a smaller amount than most of the other hatcheries. Most of your feed stores and places like that will usually have baby chicks in the spring too. That is where we got most of ours from. We have EEs and really enjoy them!

4. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

I ordered five chicks from My Pet Chicken last June, and was very pleased with the delivery. I'm in Los Angeles; if you are in a larger metropolitan area so that the chicks can be delivered quickly, you may order as small a quantity as three babies. My chicks were peeping and very active when we picked them up at the post office.
    I ordered females, and that's what I received! [​IMG] I know that with local feed stores, it seems to be a bigger gamble on what sex the chicks will be. Because of our area, there was no way that I could keep (or wanted to keep) a rooster, so the sexing ability of the hatchery was important.
    The cost of ordering just a few chicks is more expensive, but worth it, I thought. I would order from My Pet Chicken again.

Carla Riggs
    Pasadena Ca

5. KristenF87

KristenF87 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Gainesville
    I've called around to the local feed stores and it looks like whether I get my chicks from my pet chicken or locally I will have to wait until February (which is good, it gives me time to prepare). Thanks so much for all the help [​IMG] I've heard many good things about My Pet Chicken.

I am definitely leaning towards EE's. One of the feed stores I called said they would have Ameraucanas and I wonder if maybe they are actually Easter Eggers... MPC said that they're often mislabeled.

6. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    You might also ask on this board if someone wants to split an order with you. There are lots of people in your area on BYC and many may be in your same predicament.

Good luck and welcome to BYC,
    Michelle

7. ebhoneybees

ebhoneybees Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    Also, put a WANTED ad on Craigslist in your area. I did that and got quite a few replies from local chicken people.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] Please do not forget about Buff Orpington's. They are quite docile, very friendly, great layers and winter hardy. Not to mention beautiful!

9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Ameraucanas and Arucanas (sp?) are different breeds, have different looks, but the egg-laying ability is very similar. Arucanas (sp?) lay pink, blue, green, and other colored eggs, while Ameraucanas lay less of a variety. Look up pictures on the web and see the differing looks for yourself. [​IMG] G'luck!

10. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Welcome to BYC. You will find NUMEROUS people on here that can sell you just about anything you need. I have blue egg layers, but am too far from you. Post a thread saying you need to buy chicks from whatever city you are in and the BYC'ers close to you will help you out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by