Buying Chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BobwhiteQuailLover, Feb 24, 2011.

1. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Where is the best place to buy poultry chicks?

Thanks!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Depends on your definition of "best."

My opinion, for what that's worth, is to start with a few feed store chicks. It's instant gratification (no waiting for an online order) and you get to pick the cutest available ones yourself. Then, after you have had some experience with those chickens, you can start looking for the breeds you cannot find at feed stores and order those, if you wish, from an online hatchery. Or pay more for some from a breeder. Or start to incubate eggs and hatch chicks yourself.

3. Milliemay

Milliemay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Southwest Wisconsin
    I see you are from Wisconsin also. I have ordered from McMurray and had very good luck, chicks are healthy when you get them, great variety. They are in Iowa, so the trip in the mail isn't that bad, and the shipping is reasonable.

4. lulumammato2

lulumammato2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I found a lot of places and one really great one on craigslist. Most of them were small local families,I just went to farm and garden and typed in chicks:)

5. 1978steven

1978steven Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    Montgomery, NY
    Found mine on craigslist....

6. HatchingFever

HatchingFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    ideal is the best revieve over 5 shipments every year hardly ever get a dead one have 47 chicks and 5 ducks comeing on wednesday

7. Whoachick33

Whoachick33 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    If your from Wisconsin, I am too, and I just placed an order from Purely Poultry in Oshkosh today. Minimum of 15 chicks, which is better if you don't want 25 chicks.

http://www.purelypoultry.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by