1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buying coop plans online -- anyone used plansd.com?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by QuakerMom, Mar 26, 2012.

1. QuakerMom

QuakerMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    I'm looking for plans to purchase, and finding this search a bit challenging. Need to submit plans to our town's architectural review board in order to get a permit to build a coop. So, can't do what i would most likely be inclined to do (for better or worse), which is sketch out a rough idea of what i want, start assembling recycled lumber and building materials bought off craigslist, dive in and start building something minimalist and modify as needed as i go along.

Anyway, found this company through eBay, which has a good selection of plans in roughly the style and size I want -- I really want a walk-in style coop w/people door rather than one of the short ones that look simpler and less expensive but you can't walk into them. I think for a cold climate (northern Ohio) this will ultimately help keep the birds healthier in winter -- am I right on this? Also wanting the walk-in style for ease of cleaning. SO -- has anyone heard of or better yet bought a set of coop plans from
    www.plansd.com??
    I'm looking at the "large coop" plans -- really wanted a 4 x6 (for 6 full-sized hens) but the 4 x 7s seem to have more of the features i want, like the nesting boxes on the outside, for example. $16 + $3 shipping for paper copies of plans seems like a fairly good price, if the plans are accurate and detailed.

Here's the pg I'm looking at:

http://www.plansd.com/Large_Chicken_Coop_Plans.html

Particularly interested in design # 90407L right now.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
    I would love to see a cost estimate of materials to build this one too, though I do plan on getting whatever I can at the ReStore resale store here, to save on some of the materials, so i realize that will vary quite a bit.

Thanks!

PS -- if anyone else has purchased or built or found a set of plans for a 4 x 6 or 4 x 7 coop w/a people sized door, would love to hear more leads, info, etc!

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I did not use a plan that included a door for people to walk through, because the coop is only 4 feet tall. I used the plans at purina.com.

I looked at the plans you mentioned. They seem to be complete. For an estimate, you might take the plans to your local building supply store and see if they can get you a figure.

Chris

3. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Take a look at the Garden Coop, http://www.thegardencoop.com . Several people have built this coop from this website and on the designer's website you'll see pics of several other builds. My buddy built this plan after I showed them to him and he's very happy with it.

4. pudellvr

pudellvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Florence, SC
    My Coop
    I used the garden coop. I am somewhat pleased with the results. I would be glad to talk with you about my experience. You can look at my coop page as well.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I got one plan from them. Got it of Ebay. But i prefer Jim Schwartz's plans. He will help you if you have problems,just email and he writes back or even calls you.

6. QuakerMom

QuakerMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Thank you! I'll check him out -- do you have a website link for his plans?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by